Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: early denarius with partially incuse legend - what do you think?  (Read 1015 times)

vpushkin

I started to get interested more and more into early denarii - I just got this coin today and tried to attribute this via really helpful Steve Brinkman's site (huge thanks for putting it out there).  Is it group 2 or "early unrecognized anomaly"?  What do you think?  any ideas on where this issue was produced?  I would love to hear everyone's thoughts!
p.s. its a little heavy, 4.4 g

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: early denarius with partially incuse legend - what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 01:36:28 pm »
Interesting type. Possibly the first or one of the first  Roman denarii to be minted:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?term=Crawford+44%2F5+incuse

Offline Norbert

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 08:10:31 am »
I would see your coin as a nice example vor Variant 2 (sub 1). The horse tail, the style of visor but also the 'X' all fit exactly.
Just like you I am relying on the Steve Brinkman site for the anonymous denarii and have no better resource nor any own knowlege beyond this.     

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 11:47:41 am »
Here's my partially-incuse denarius, purchased last year. Brinkman's site is absolutely essential for these and for Victoriati. Mine weighs 4.48 grams, which is heavy by later denarii standards, but normal for this issue.

vpushkin

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 06:52:05 pm »
thank you everyone, this helps!

Carausius, that's a beautiful coin!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity