Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ancient Babylonian Astronomy  (Read 1884 times)

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
Ancient Babylonian Astronomy
« on: May 19, 2016, 08:26:56 pm »
Science (January 29 2016, page 482) has a fascinating article showing Babylonian astronomers were able to track the position of Jupiter using a mathematical technique akin to modern calculus.  Based on analysis of cuneiform tablets long residing at the British Museum.  Pretty cool.

PtolemAE

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
Re: Ancient Babylonian Astronomy
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 10:44:59 pm »
Astounding!

It just goes to show what has been lost can take thousands of years to re-invent.

Here is an online article from Australia's ABC-

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-29/ancient-babylonian-text-earliest-use-of-calculus-for-astronomy/7121548

Offline mix_val

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 08:39:43 am »
Wonderful discovery...As described in the article, the Babylonian's were using many of the concepts fundamental to integral calculus.   
Bob Crutchley
My gallery of the coins of Severus Alexander and his family
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=16147

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 11:48:30 am »
Yes, but do the tablets show that Babylonian high school students hated and feared calculus as much as I did in the 1980s?

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 12:43:38 pm »
Yes, but do the tablets show that Babylonian high school students hated and feared calculus as much as I did in the 1980s?

Shawn

Hi otl,

I was also in high school in the 1980s.

Why did you hate and fear calculus? I loved calculus, both in high school and college. I thought it was fun and interesting.

Meepzorp

Offline hannibal2

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 06:37:22 am »
The ancients knew far more than we ever thought.

Something I have been working on recently. Forecasting the solstice day (and time) for this summer, using a technique developed before 3600 BCE. Works perfectly. Determining the solstice day and hour is relatively easy (especially with the grandly sized original).

Look up Wiki ( and similar links) for "solstice determination" to find what we can do today.

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 03:48:08 am »
Wonderful discovery...As described in the article, the Babylonian's were using many of the concepts fundamental to integral calculus.   

+ 1  +++

I enjoy this thread

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity