Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Mark Antony's Legio XIII  (Read 1008 times)

Offline drk1

• Legionary
Mark Antony's Legio XIII
« on: May 19, 2016, 07:34:25 pm »
I just bought a Mark Antony Legionary denarius, Legio XIII, so naturally I wanted to find out about that legion. From what I've been able to learn, the original Legio XIII was founded by Julius Caesar, and was the legion he crossed the Rubicon with. It was later disbanded, and I read that it was later reformed by Octavian and fought against Antony and Cleopatra at Actium. So I'm guessing that there must have been two Legio XIIIs, one Octavian's and one Antony's, and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with why it was called Gemina, twin. Most of the accounts I read said that it was because it was enhanced by the addition of former members of other legions after Actium, so maybe not. Does anybody know anything about this? Thanks.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Mark Antony's Legio XIII
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 08:18:19 pm »
Congrats on finding one. Post a pic!

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 08:51:38 pm »
Yes, a picture please. I would love to see it.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 10:03:58 pm »
Yes pics please!

Here is mine with a write up,  not much is known about Antony's XIII but it probably contained at least some of Caesar's veterans.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-112076

Offline drk1

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 12:20:16 pm »
Okay, then, here are pics. These are from the dealer's website; I'm still eagerly awaiting the actual arrival of the coin.
I'm new to collecting ancient coins, but I did order this one from a reputable dealer after getting scorched on eBay on my first foray.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 09:49:49 pm »
Nice one!  Clearly identifiable as XIII

Offline drk1

• Legionary
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 01:44:34 pm »
I know. I was really excited when I found it. Thank you.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity