Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantinus Arles?  (Read 709 times)

Offline COINS FAN

• Consul
Constantinus Arles?
« on: May 16, 2016, 10:09:33 am »
Hello, can we consider that coin from Arles? I dnt know how to traduce "cippe", cipus? Anyway, i talk about the thing under the shield. Coins from Arles are often with same ornamentation. And more if its Arles, we only know 1rts and 2nd officina. Obverse: IMP CONSTA-NTINVS AVG. Reverse : VICTORIAE LAETAE PRINC PERP/ VOT/ PR//

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Constantinus Arles?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 05:47:40 pm »
Cippus: A small, low pillar, square or round, commonly having an inscription, used by the ancients for various purposes, as for indicating the distances of places, for a landmark, for sepulchral inscriptions, etc

From Wictionary

Best regards

Offline COINS FAN

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 05:48:46 pm »
Ok thanks, whats points permits to say its from Arles? The style of ornements on the cippus? Or the bust style?
Thank you Jochen, i know what is cippus, im french and didnt known how to call it in english.

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 07:32:51 pm »
Those interested in this and similar questions may want to obtain a copy of Late Roman Bronze Coinage, An Attribution Guide for Poorly Preserved Coins by Guido Bruck.  Originally in German, it was recently released in English (I am not aware of a French translation).  On page 109 there are over two dozen sketches of altars on these coins attributed to the mints that produced them and which rulers made that typeArles has four types listed.

Using the charts requires a bit of care.  For example, below I show a coin from London with a bit similar diamond and dots but Arles coins like yours have a row of dots at top and bottom while London does not.  Most are easier like the Siscia below with a crossed X design but some are just no help with two cities using the same pattern.

The book is not expensive and filled with information.  I do suggest you try to find a seller on your side of the Atlantic.  Book postage can be as much as the book.  I admit I prefer not to buy coins with missing mintmarks but the Bruck book has been handy on several occasions. 

Offline COINS FAN

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 06:30:51 am »
Thank you, ill try to find this book.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity