Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ID spanish medieval coin  (Read 996 times)

Offline Cacuci

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
    • www.antica.home.ro
ID spanish medieval coin
« on: May 14, 2016, 01:04:31 am »
Please help me ID this bronze coin. I have reasons to think it's spanish (but it could be other country as well).
It 17 mm in diameter, and weights around 1-2 grams (it's very thin).
On the reverset here is some circular form (like a shield or something) . On the margins, i can read: []32 . DI. ANNO [].
  On the obverse  it looks like a  left oriented human figure. It's like a bald guy ,having something like a spanish medieval collar round his neck, or some veil ,going up on his head (like Constantine the Great on the VN-MR coin types).

Thank you.
Bogdan.

Offline BIRDSOFPREY

• Praetorian
  • Roll Tide Roll
Re: ID spanish medieval coin
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 01:58:41 pm »
Good morning,

It appears to be an Ardite from Barcelona, maybe 1632 for a date??  I am away from my library so excuse me for not supplying a reference. 

David

Offline Cacuci

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
    • www.antica.home.ro
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 10:27:05 pm »
Indeed David,
It appears to be this type of Charles III of Spain ardite:
http://www.identificacion-numismatica.com/t7334-2-diners-de-carlos-iii-de-austria-barcelona-1710-d-c

The only thing is that those ardites are dated around 1710, and mine would be 1632.
Is it possible to be an overstruck piece , on an old coin of Phillip IV from 1632?

Offline BIRDSOFPREY

• Praetorian
  • Roll Tide Roll
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 04:45:14 pm »
No, I mistook the "2 DI" for the end of the date, when it is actually the abbreviation for "2 dinero."  The date should be counterclockwise from the 2.  Your reference gave me the best look of one I could find.  It would definitely be the pretender Charles III. 

Regards,

David

All coins are guaranteed for eternity