Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ID follis, figure with letters S and F one to each side  (Read 409 times)

Offline Richard S5

• Legionary
ID follis, figure with letters S and F one to each side
« on: May 11, 2016, 12:56:33 am »
Weight: 7 g. Width: 1 1/16", 2.7 cm. Follis, male bust with laurel wreath facing right, lettering along the edge except under the bust. I can't make out enough of the lettering to be able to guess who it is. Other side, figure at center with what appear to be the letters S and F to either side of it.

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
Re: ID follis, figure with letters S and T one to each side
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 01:05:15 am »
Hi Richard!

Looks like:

Galerius Maximian
MAXIMIANVS NOB C   
GENIO POPV-LI ROMANI   
S   F   
PTR   
Trier   RIC VI Trier 602b   
Common
303-305   
Folles

I'll see if I can find a photo.

Josh

Offline Richard S5

• Legionary
Re: ID follis, figure with letters S and T one to each side
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 01:12:34 am »
Thank you! You guys are really amazing. I wish I could puzzle the writing out the way you do. If I find any more like this and the other I recently posted about, this will be the first place I go.

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
Re: ID follis, figure with letters S and F one to each side
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 01:48:07 am »
No problem! This site is full of great resources, looking these comes pretty quick after some practice! Here's that photo.

Josh

Offline Richard S5

• Legionary
Re: ID follis, figure with letters S and F one to each side
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 02:05:34 am »
Thank you for taking the time to post that. It's really interesting to see what the coin looks like when it's in good shape. I have somewhere between 800-1000 coins to ID and organize, and it's one thing to search when you can figure out some of what's on a coin (from the Dutch East Indies, for example) but in the case of coins like this one I'm at a complete loss.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity