Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: What is a "Unit"?  (Read 2225 times)

Offline Steven W

• Legionary
What is a "Unit"?
« on: May 06, 2016, 02:29:13 pm »
I assume this is a rookie question, and I apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere in the forum or on this site. I have scoured both (and the internet), but haven't found a definitive answer.  I've seen some (mostly Greek seemingly) coins in auctions described as "AE Unit." I know that AE refers to the metal (bronze), but what is a "unit."  The closest I can find is that that a Unit=an As. I've also seen references to half units, quarter units, fifth units etc.  I assume that this has something to do with the weight of the coin, but haven't been able to confirm that notion, or found anything that shows what weights correspond.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Re: What is a "Unit"?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 02:41:38 pm »
You're on the right track.  Like an As in Roman Republican coins, a "unit" is what numismatists call the coin denomination that they think formed the basis for the monetary system / weight standard of the issuing authority, and from which fractional and/or multiple denominations would have been measured and produced. The term "unit" is often used when we have no certainty of the actual, ancient name of that denomination..

Offline Steven W

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 03:32:26 pm »
Thanks very much.  That is helpful.

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 04:36:07 pm »
A unit is half of two units and double a half unit. I don't mean that to be snarky. In coin descriptions, it usually is just a way of saying there are different contemporary (usually bronze) denominations, this seems to be the primary one, and we don't know the actual name or value of the denominations.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 05:38:49 am »
Hi Steven

In many cases a "unit" represents a monetary value that we suspect exists but can't prove because of a lack of value marks or literary references. Many eastern bronzes under Roman influence are believed to represent asses or fractions or multiples thereof, but we can't be sure - and we also might be wrong, as perhaps they represent obols / fractions / multiples, or maybe both in cases where a drachm was valued near to a denarius, the same bronze coin might represent an obol or alternately two or three asses. We can't be sure. Academic writers who plump for one or other terminology generally get criticised by those with an opposite or agnostic view. So there's an increasing tendency to play safe and write "unit". In some cases, the use of "unit" masks a serious uncertainty, for example in early Roman coinage there are bronze coins that have traditionally been considered token (fiduciary, overvalued relative to their metal value) and described as litrae or fractions or multiples thereof in the Greek style. Some modern scholars are not so sure and think these may just be intrinsically valued fractions of the aes grave currency and actually unciae or fractions thereof. One or the other view must be wrong. So, play it safe and call them "units" and no-one argues.

Really excellent question by the way. +++ Welcome to Forum, I see these were your first posts.

Andrew

Offline Steven W

• Legionary
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 08:34:55 am »
Thank you all very much for you replies.  I think I've got a handle on it now.

Thanks also for the welcome.  My wife brought me two coins from Rome, and I think I've been "bitten." I've been on this site ever since learning a great deal!

Offline Tacitus

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 09:58:49 pm »
Half a double unit!

OMG!  that was so funny even though it wasn't....   

Even with all of the history we know it amazes me how much we don't really know about every day things

All coins are guaranteed for eternity