Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A rare Nicomedia Fel Temp Phoenix, unlisted?  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Pharsalos

• Consul
A rare Nicomedia Fel Temp Phoenix, unlisted?
« on: May 03, 2016, 04:55:27 am »
I have just added this rare phoenix to my collection. The mintmark is SMNB; Nicomedia. I don't think this one is in RIC, and the coin is not listed on Helvetica's Fel Temp lists either. Fellow Forvm member Massanutten has the only other Nicomedia Phoenix I can find an image of, which has the mintmark SMNΓ. The Nicomedia issue is notable for the ornately nimbate Phoenix, which in common with some Antioch emissions, depicts very large rays. Massanutten's coin is stylistically linked to mine, and you can see the progression of the ray design.

AE Half Centenionalis
Constantius II, 337-361 CE
Diameter: 17mm, Weight: 2.90 grams, Die Axis: 6h

Ob. D N CONSTANTIVS PF AVG
Diademed and draped bust to right.

Rev. FEL TEMP REPARATIO
Ornately nimbate Phoenix standing right on globe, star in field to right.

Mint: SMNB

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: A rare Nicomedia Fel Temp Phoenix, unlisted?
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 08:58:38 am »
The officina is unlisted but the find is not surprising.  Nicomedia appears to have struck few of this denomination though they struck both the first series without a star in the field (348-349) and the second with the star in the field (349-350).  So unlisted officinae are nice but not a total surprise.

The nimbus design is very nice.  Maybe the result of a small issue.  A little more time on your hands to do a nice design unlike the rushed staff over at Siscia.  Pure speculation on my part....

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Pharsalos

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 08:07:33 pm »
Thank you for your reply Shawn. According to the RIC lists prepared by Helvetica, the only known to RIC Nicomedia Phoenix officiniae are SMNS and SMNΔ. Both are rated R3, which while not common, does suggest there was more than one example known of each. Massanutten's coin is the third, RIC unlisted SMNΓ, star in field. I am not sure if there are any images of the RIC listed coins; but I couldn't find any. If you know of another reference or addition to this Nicomedia series, please let me know.

So from these three coins plus my coin, the series (assuming it doesn't extend beyond delta) would seem to be: SMNA, SMNS, SMNΓ, SMNΔ and then SMNA *, SMNB *, SMNΓ *, SMNΔ *. Is this correct? If so, there are now 4 of the (at least) 8 described somewhere.

In regards to the design, personally I think there must be some cultural reason for the large nimbus engraved on these eastern mint coins. The Siscia and Trier outputs are large, but some issues are very nicely done. If the engraver had time to execute a fine portrait and reverse design, then they had time to engrave longer lines on the nimbus. I wonder if there is some connection to the well established (compared to the west) Christian populations in Antioch and Nicomedia. Perhaps the populations in these centres were more exposed to art that portrayed a large nimbus; the nimbus on other Phoenix mints could be mistaken for a laurel wreath.

Offline Victor C

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Constantine the Great
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 08:27:30 pm »
Quote from: Pharsalos on May 03, 2016, 08:07:33 pm
Is this correct?

No, there were 6 officinae striking coins at this time --  :Greek_Alpha:,  :Greek_Beta:,  :Greek_Gamma:,  :Greek_Delta:,  :Greek_epsilon:,  :Greek_Stigma:

so even though a workshop might not be listed in RIC, it can be expected.
Victor Clark

LRB gallery

Offline Pharsalos

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 05:10:54 am »
Thank you Victor. Is the proposed series of officiniae based on other Fel Temp Reparatio issues (ie. falling horse, galley etc.) from Nicomedia? Also, how does the RIC recorded SMNS fit into the series?

Finally, are there any theories as to why the Nicomedia issue is so scarce compared to Trier or Siscia?

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 12:41:02 pm »
I agree with Victor.  Sometimes coin types were only struck by certain officinae, but in this case given the find pattern so far and the rarity of the type at Nicomedia, I bet that they were struck at all officinae and the "missing" finds will turn up one day.

Combining RIC and the two unlisted you highlight yields:

SMNA issue: A, B, S
:<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=star' target='_blank'>star</a>: SMNA issue: B,  :Greek_Gamma::Greek_Delta:

So 6 of 12 possible options appear to be now known.

Hard to say why exactly the small denomination is rare at Nicomedia.  It is rarer there than the two larger denominations are, and it is rare there than at the other nearby mints.  Heraclea, Constantinopolis, Nicomedia and Cyzicus were all fairly close and usually acted as a group of mints - likely under a regional supervisor.  Overall there would have been less need for official coinage there with fewer troops nearby. 

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Pharsalos

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 07:51:46 pm »
Thank you Shawn, I will use that information on my gallery listing. I found a reverse image on another Nicomedia, at the very bottom of Doug Smith's Fel Temp page:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/ftr.html

It appears to be SMNS, star in field.

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 02:16:45 pm »
Can't tell if that is an S, which would give us a 7th, or a  :Greek_Gamma: with a blob on the bottom.  Maybe Doug will read this and be able to tell us.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity