Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Any interesting, must-see Roman sites near Split and Dubrovnik?  (Read 1438 times)

Offline tjaart

• Consul
Dear all,

I am visiting the area between Split and Dubrovnik in September for a week. I know there are a number of Roman sites to see but as I have limited time, I would like get some suggestions as to which places are the best to visit. I already have plans to see Diocletian's palace but I am looking for other interesting places as well.

Any ideas would be welcome! Thanks!

Tjaart

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Any interesting, must-see Roman sites near Split and Dubrovnik?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 04:35:22 pm »
Diocletian's palace is very cool as it is still a living city.  So plan to not only walk around but to sit and have coffee and lunch etc in the city itself.  There is at least one antique dealer with coins in the northern part of the old city.

The Split Archaeological Museum is about a ten minute walk NW of the old city and is worth a visit.   There is a fairly cheap paperback 4-volume set of their numismatic collection for sale at the gift store.

The ruins of the city of Salona are located about a 15 minute drive inland from the palace area.  Not a huge lot to see but nice to walk around - they have an earth and stone amphitheatre and other ruins and great views.  Cheap taxi ride.

Not Roman but the small medieval city of Trogir about half hour north of Split is worth seeing.  Also the drive from Split eastwards up the gorge to the high plateau is stunning though not doable if you don't have a car.

Not much between Split and Dubrovnik.  However it is worth considering building in a side trip to Mostar in Bosnia & Herzegovina.  It is about 45 minutes up the Neretva river from the coast.  The border crossing at Metkovic is usually a breeze to get through.  You have to check beforehand though what if any visas you need.  If you go this route you have to stop at the awesome little medieval walled town of Pocitelj part way to Mostar.  Most people drive past and don't noticve as they never look up.  Check it out online before you go and tour the castle and hike up the walls.  If you really want to explore you can take a 20 minute detour from the route back from Mostar to Vrelo Buna at Blagaj where a 50' wide cold trout-filled river comes out of a cave at the base of a 500' sheer cliff.  There is a 500 year old Ottoman Sufi "monastary" you can tour and several awesome fish restaurants on the riverbank.

Dubrovnik is nice but is post-Roman.  It is worth going 15 km south to Cavtat which was the Greek Epidaurus and the Roman Epidaurum.  It was sacked by the Avars in the 7th century and the survivors fled to found what is now Dubrovnik.  On a clear day you can still see pillars submerged in the sea as you walk around the small peninsula.  The best way to get to Cavtat from Dubrovnik is actually by small boat that catch at the Dubrovnik harbour.  If you go that way you will pass my favourite little holiday spot in the area - the tiny village of Mlini. 

Hope that helps a bit.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline tjaart

• Consul
Re: Any interesting, must-see Roman sites near Split and Dubrovnik?
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 03:59:23 pm »
Thanks Shawn, this helps a lot. Looking forward to seeing Diocletian's palace.

Tjaart

All coins are guaranteed for eternity