Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Potentially important Trajan/Hadrian mule denarius - what does it tell us?  (Read 5987 times)

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar
Hi all,

I was luckily enough to win this intriguing denarius in the latest Roma Numismatics auction - not only a mule but one that utilises obverse and reverse of different emperors.

AR Denarius, Rome, late 117 CE, 2.97g
Obv: Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Hadrian (R), IMP CAES TRAIAN HADRIANO AVG DIVI TRA, RIC 9-13 (Hadrian)
Rev: Equestrian statue of Trajan (equus Traiani of Trajan's forum) depicting the emperor on horseback left carrying spear and Victory.
SPQR OPTIMO PRINCIPI, RIC 291 (Trajan)

Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-128531

From the coin can we make the following assumptions:

- The "equus Traiani" equestrian statue reverse was being used right up until Trajan's death in August 117 CE, resulting in it mistakenly(?) being used here at the outset of Hadrian's reign.

- Further to that, this really is one of the first coins minted under Hadrian, perhaps very soon after Trajan's death on 9th August.

- As one might expect, dies of Trajan were still lying around the mint for a time after his death.

I would be very interested to hear if resident experts feel the coin can reveal anything else about the minting process or history of the time? I presume there are comparable mules that span the death and accession of two different emperors?

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
Very interesting indeed, i was bidding as well, i am happy it stays here with you on this forum.

+++
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
I have several coins of Antoninus Pius as caesar (under Hadrian), coupled to much later obverses or reverses. They are of course of the same person, which makes a mix-up easier. I do not know of Hadrian proper reverses being coupled to Pius obverses.

Frans

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Unfortunately it seems unlikely that your coin can be an official mule, for that equestrian statue rev. type of Trajan was not still being struck at the end of his reign, nor does your obverse have the earliest legend of Hadrian's reign.

Trajan's Equus Traiani denarius type was struck essentially in the year 112, possibly a little way into 113 also. It cannot have been struck after 114, for it never occurs in combination with Trajan's two final honorary titles, namely Optimus as part of his name, assumed in 114, and Parthicus, assumed in 116.

As to the obverse legend of your coin, IMP CAES TRAIAN HADRIANO AVG DIVI TRA, it is of Hadrian's second issue in 117, because it omits Trajan's honorary title Optimus, which does occur in his first issue, apparently having been voted by the Senate, but Hadrian then declined it. See Okidoki's Issue 1 CONCORDIA sestertius in an adjoining Forvm thread.

So I don't know what to make of your coin. Both dies appear to be in official style, but it seems very unlikely that an Equestrian Statue rev. die of 112 was still present at the mint in c. October 117, and was erroneously used to strike denarii of Hadrian. A deliberate revival of Trajan's Equestrian Statue type in connection with his consecration in 117 also seems unlikely, because the rev. legend doesn't call Trajan Divus, and because the titulature of Hadrian in incomplete, needing to be continued by PARTH F DIVI NER NEP P M TR P COS, as on all other rev. dies of this issue.
Curtis Clay

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar
Thanks as always Curtis - quite the conundrum it seems.

The coin appears ancient and as you say, dies are in the official style.

If anyone has any idea how these two dies, separated by 4 years could have been brought together, do share..

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar
Update:

Dr. Nathan T. Elkins (Monuments in Miniature: The Representation of Architecture on Roman Coinage) and Martin Beckmann ("Trajan and Hadrian" pp. 405-422 in W.E. Mecalf (ed.) The Oxford Handbook of Greek and Roman Coinage, Oxford (2012) have both agreed that the combination of dies here is for all intents and purposes impossible.

Backmann said "such a die pairing is entirely unknown and essentially 100% impossible on a genuine coin. And the edge of the coin looks suspiciously regular. I’m guessing cast fake."

While I would say from the image the coin does not seem to have the appearance of a cast fake, it is difficult to be certain either way.

I have also contacted Bernhard Woytek and will be interested to see if he can add anything to the discussion.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
i think it a real ancient coin imho
All the Best,
Eric

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar
I agree, nothing about the coin makes me think it is not ancient.
It just seems impossible at this point to reconcile this with what is know about the dies.
But then I'm sure many newly discovered types have been dismissed at first. Tough one.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar
I don't think so. Dies seem official and weight is about average for a Trajan denarius.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Experts are telling us it cannot be a genuine official mule. Ancient counterfeits often have mismatched obverses and reverses. Some counterfeiter's transfer dies were made using a process that destroyed the genuine coin to impressed to make each die. Since making one die destroyed the coin, the same coin could not be used to make both the obverse and reverse dies. The destroyed coins were undoubtedly melted to contribute to the silver foil plate. Hybrids, coins with mismatched obverse and reverse types, should be examined for plating. I think this coin may be a fourree made with transfer dies.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Online Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
I agree that it can't be official but to me it looks struck not cast.  It has very sharp details.   ???

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
It is unlikely to be cast. If it was cast it would be a copy of struck hybrid.

I should also mention, however, that there are some quite sharp cast fakes, far to sharp to detect in a photo and even very difficult to detect in hand. That is why we usually do not authenticate coins on this board. We can often condemn, but seldom authenticate from a photo. The best made casts look perfectly genuine in photos.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar
Reply from Bernhard Woytek: "I saw that curious coin on the web: I regard it as an unofficial product; it does not seem to result from a deliberate pairing of these dies in the Hadrianic mint. Such hybrids turn up from time to time; officially struck hybrids (error coins), by way of contrast, always seem couple dies of subsequent issues."

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Reply from Bernhard Woytek: "...officially struck hybrids (error coins), by way of contrast, always seem to couple dies of subsequent issues."

By "subsequent issues", I think Bernhard means "consecutive issues". Official hybrids almost always join one die showing a new, recently introduced type or legend, with a die of the preceding issue that had erroneously or carelessly remained in use, showing a now superseded type or legend. For example a denarius of Caracalla with TR P II on the reverse, coupled with an obverse die of the preceding issue, still showing just TR P.

So Kained was correct to assume that if his coin was an official mule, then its rev. type ought to be one of the latest of Trajan's reign, and its obv. legend should be the earliest of Hadrian's reign. Unfortunately that is not the case, as I explained in my post above.
Curtis Clay

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Reply from Bernhard Woytek: "...officially struck hybrids (error coins), by way of contrast, always seem to couple dies of subsequent issues."

By "subsequent issues", I think Bernhard means "consecutive issues". Official hybrids almost always join one die showing a new, recently introduced type or legend, with a die of the preceding issue that had erroneously or carelessly remained in use, showing a now superseded type or legend. For example a denarius of Caracalla with TR P II on the reverse, coupled with an obverse die of the preceding issue, still showing just TR P.

So Kained was correct to assume that if his coin was an official mule, then its rev. type ought to be one of the latest of Trajan's reign, and its obv. legend should be the earliest of Hadrian's reign. Unfortunately that is not the case, as I explained in my post above.

Yes I agree with all this, based on the Roman Republic where the same phenomenon is seen - good silver perfect style hybrids from known dies or die cutters invariably involve issues from the same or consecutive years. Indeed this is a principle used at times to verify co-dated issues.

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Andrew's post reminds me: official mules could of course also be between two contemporaneous dies that were however not meant to be used together: for example obv. of Septimius Severus, rev. type of Caracalla from the same issue.
Curtis Clay

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
I just updated the NumisWiki mule page. Click mule to read it.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
So what are the options to explain such a pairing - an "unofficial mule" with two sides that are separated too far temporally to have been an "official mule"?

1) Modern fake - but does not appear to be the case here.

2) Contemporary imitation struck from counterfeit dies - possible, but these dies seem to be of good, official style.

3) Contemporary imitation cast from moulds made from genuine coins - some such imitations did use moulds made using the sides of two different coins, but there should be signs of casting

4) Struck from official dies obtained illicitly - I would assume that it would be slightly easier to steal/acquire official dies after they were no longer in service than those being used daily, but only marginally.

I am curious is there are theories on this and if my list has left out any other possible explanations.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
An unofficial coin should not be called a mule.  It should be called an unofficial hybrid.

As I have already said in previous posts, I believe it is very likely a contemporary counterfeit struck with transfer dies.  I believe it is very likely a plated fourree.  To me, the other three possibilities seem very unlikely.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Pharsalos

• Consul
A good idea might be to take it to a local bullion dealer. They may have a XRF machine. A denarius of this period should be around 90%; if you get that reading it still may not tell us much. But if you get a significantly different reading that would be telling.

Offline traveler

• Consul
Quote from: Pharsalos on May 04, 2016, 08:01:06 pm
A good idea might be to take it to a local bullion dealer. They may have a XRF machine. A denarius of this period should be around 90%; if you get that reading it still may not tell us much. But if you get a significantly different reading that would be telling.

Unfortunately XRF is not really reliable for Roman Imperial coins, due to the common practice of surface silver enrichment.

Offline Pharsalos

• Consul
That is assuming ofcourse that it is a Roman Imperial coin. If it is a modern plated coin, it may well read close to 999 pure.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Plated denarii were likely often plated with silver from the genuine contemporary coins.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Martin B5

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
All the Best,
Eric

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
All the Best,
Eric

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
All the Best,
Eric

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Curtis Clay

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
All the Best,
Eric

All coins are guaranteed for eternity