Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Pius Alexandria sestertius variations  (Read 422 times)

Offline Frans Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
Pius Alexandria sestertius variations
« on: April 29, 2016, 10:43:25 am »
They are so rare that sometimes a collector is happy with a very worn specimen.
I noticed this specimen of the Coronarium series in a lot and bought it cheaply: ANTONINVS AVG PIVS PP laureate head right / [ALEXANDRIA] around, COS II in exergue and S - C in fields. Alexandria standing left, holding crown (some still say box) looks like a plate of pancakes, and an ibis on her left arm. In the standard reference works a variation with COS - II also in the fields is given as the standard, but I have seen several coins like mine. I also noticed a reverse die identical specimen sold by Kuenker, but here with drapery on far shoulder. I have also seen a different, but similar reverse die.
So there are at least three variations of this unrecorded coin type.

Frans

All coins are guaranteed for eternity