Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Arados coin final attribution  (Read 854 times)

Nero 30

Arados coin final attribution
« on: April 29, 2016, 02:22:40 am »
Dear Board:
I have this Arados coin, 16mm, 3.3 grams,
Obverse: Turreted head of Tyche right
Reverse: Athena left on prow of Galley left.
References and mint year would help so much!!!
Regards.

Nero 30

Re: Arados coin final attribution
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 06:17:02 am »
Looking well at tyche i think i am  seeing a circular shape abobe the head any ideas?

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 07:10:46 am »
Hi Nero 30,

The Aradians started adding dates to this series in year 18 or 242 B.C, your coin was most likely minted prior to the dated coins. This we can tell by comparing the chronology of late Seleucid coins minted for Arados with those of early autonomous coins produced in the City. The bevelled flan is one obvious giveaway when comparing both types, also the reverse that is practically identical in every detail. The only differences being that the Seleucid coins had an anchor above the prow where has the Aradian coins were minted with the city monogram of AP.

If you´re interested, read more on the subject here;

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=93142.msg602572#msg602572

Phoenicia, Arados 242-166 B.C

Obverse: Turreted head of Tyche right, border of dots (Beveled flan).

Reverse: Prow of galley left with (Ἀθηνᾶ Πρόμαχος) Athena figurehead fighting left with shield and spear, AP monogram above, border of dots (of the flan). Aradian era date 18-93.

Ref: Duyrat 2005 No. 1374-1403

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 07:11:48 am »
Quote from: Nero 30 on April 29, 2016, 06:17:02 am
Looking well at tyche i think i am  seeing a circular shape abobe the head any ideas?

The circle you are seeing is just corrosion or crud covering the turreted crown of Tyche.

Nero 30

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 07:46:13 am »
Thanks alot Martin for your usual help and your vast knowledge regarding Aradian coins, this was very informative, by the qa way your collection and writing made me prefer Arados clins over other greeks, so whenever i find one i buy it directly :).
Best regards.

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 09:49:41 am »
Thanks for your kind words and if possible please remember to leave some coins for me.  ;)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity