Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: question about storage and bronze disease  (Read 2024 times)

vpushkin

question about storage and bronze disease
« on: April 28, 2016, 12:50:52 pm »
Hi!  i am hoping someone have had more experience with this and can potentially shed more light on this.  Unfortunately i have spotted couple of bright green spots on a small aes grave coin - I was able to remove them with a toothpick and planning to soak the coin in distilled water to see if it will come back.  This whole thing has left me wondering - since it can spread to other coins do i need to do anything with the current storage?  i am using Abafil case with coins laying in the tray - i wonder if there is anything that can be done to eliminate the possibility of the bronze disease contaminating other coins - or potentially if the problem goes away could it go back in if i place the coin at the same spot on the tray where it used to lay?  it seems drastic to get rid of the tray altogether now... 

Unfortunately i haven't taken pictures before I removed the spots but planning to test acidity of the water after a day to confirm the bronze disease.  I wonder if anyone was in the similar situation? 

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: question about storage and bronze disease
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 01:08:28 pm »
I wouldn't put it back in water, since water/moisture is the root cause of bronze disease, unless you plan to treat it with a sodium sesquicarbonate(?) solution.  Depending on the extent of the outbreak the treatment solutions will change, but you ought to post a picture to get more informed opinions.

Where are you storing your trays?  If in a safe, make sure you have desiccant packs in there that are changed regularly otherwise the moisture will be sealed in and the problem will get worse, even if it looks OK when you shut the safe.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 01:33:30 pm »
Sorry to hear about your aes grave. A photo would help, because often a "cured" coin will show signs of former bronze disease.  Bronze disease is easily misdiagnosed. Were these green spots powdery and sitting within pits in the patina, or were they hard and sitting on top of the patina?  The former is likely bronze disease, the latter not. Did they appear suddenly, or have they been there since you've owned the coin? Most 8mportant, have they changed (grown or spread) over time?

Moisture in the air encourages bronze disease. You should take precautions to eliminate excess moisture from the coins' storage environment.  I use two renewable (3 hours in the oven) dessicant pouches, which I regularly rotate in my safe deposit box. Whenever I visit the bank box, I switch the old pouch with a renewed pouch.

As for other actions to avoid spread, you might want to wipe-down (and thoroughly dry) the storage surfaces with which this aes grave had direct contact, including the underside of any upper tray. I don't think bronze disease is "airborne" like the flu (except that ambient moisture can trigger it), so I would only be concerned about direct contact with the green particles.

After soaking your coin in distilled water, you should thoroughly dry it in a LOW temperature oven for an hour or more. You might want to put some Renaissance Wax on your aes grave after cleaning it, to seal out moisture; but I'd recommend watching it first, for a few months or a year, to see if the problem returns. If it comes back, consider more aggressive treatment.

I hope that helps.

vpushkin

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 01:45:40 pm »
Hi! Thank you for the quick reply! The cases are usually either on the desk (its a case, not an open case) or in a closed book case.  I have added a desiccant yesterday just in case to the case.  Is there anything I should do now?  Here are the picture of the coin after i've removed the green spots (they were really small easily removed by the toothpick)

vpushkin

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 01:50:15 pm »
Thank you!  i have had the coin for more than a year now and just noticed green spot yesterday.  Unfortunately i didn't take a photo of the spot itself.  I've moved the coins in a tray somewhat, I hope i didn't transfer it somewhere else... 

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 02:00:19 pm »
I wouldn't treat it right now.  Leave as is and if another spot pops up, then reassess.  It sounds like these "closed" cabinets might be the source of the problem, since they are likely trapping moisture.  Get the rechargeable desiccant containers which are available online.  I've used them for a couple years now with no problems.

vpushkin

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 06:54:09 pm »
Just wanted to say thank you!  i've followed your advice about desiccant container and so far so good (no changes yet and its been three weeks now)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity