Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Another coin of the Kersini  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Another coin of the Kersini
« on: April 28, 2016, 11:16:55 am »
I was lucky enough to find another coin of the Kersini, this time mistakenly attributed as a Neapolitan bronze unit. That means I now own 1/3 of all Kersini man-faced bull coins! :)

SICILY: The Kersini, 357 to 344 BC, ae tetras, 7.73g. Bearded male head (Herakles?) to right, dotted border.  Forepart of Acheloios Halykos as a man-faced bull to right. CNS III, 322, 1 (uncertain); Campana 1; Cammarata 114; SNG Muenchen 14 (attributed to Agyrion), MSP I, 41. 6 known examples.

The Kersini were a group of mercenaries (Ilyrian?) that established a municipality in the area of Cozzo Scavo (near St. Caterina Villarmosa) in the mid 4th century BC. The coins are all overstruck on contemporaneous tetrantes from Syracuse.

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Another coin of the Kersini
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 01:35:47 pm »
I was lucky enough to find another coin of the Kersini, this time mistakenly attributed as a Neapolitan bronze unit. That means I now own 1/3 of all Kersini man-faced bull coins! :)

that is so cool!   +++
an interesting piece Nick, and a truly great find. congratulations! 

~ Peter

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 08:21:37 am »
Hi Nick,

Nice find! :)

The face on the MFB reminds me of the Herbessos type.

Meepzorp

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 08:44:52 am »
I agree.  I think a pristine example would reveal a coin in fine style.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 08:46:50 am »
Here's my other one.  I should probably pass one on but I'm not sure which. 

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 04:44:56 am »
Hi Nick,

Are you sure the second coin is attributed correctly?

The first coin has a distinctive look to it. As I mentioned above, the MFB resembles the Herbessos type.

But the second coin looks a little different. It doesn't have that distinctive look to it. It looks more like a generic MFB, like in Campania or another city in Sicily. Maybe because it is a lower grade?

Also, the obverse on the second coin isn't as distinctive either. It could easily be Apollo. Again, maybe because it is more worn?

What features about the second coin have convinced you that it is a Kersini coin?

Meepzorp

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 06:03:26 am »
It is actually the same obverse and reverse dies.  Under different lighting you can see better features of the man-faced bull on the second coin (which is the plate coin for Potamikon).Campana also confirmed my attribution

All coins are guaranteed for eternity