Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gallienus AE Antoninianus  (Read 439 times)

Offline Aldo

• Legionary
Gallienus AE Antoninianus
« on: April 17, 2016, 11:10:00 am »
Hi All,

I'm trying to identify the below Gallienus Antoninianus, but I've found nothing that quite matches on wildwinds or Helvetica's database. Size 19mm, weight 2.16g

The reverse is Fortuna, with a digamma in the right field. The problem is the obverse. Part of the legend is missing, but from the placement of the start of "GALLIENVS AVG" there must be more than IMP prior to it. Closest I've gotten is perhaps Cunetio hoard 1213 "IMP CAES GALLIENVS AVG" - however still doesn't quite match as that is just radiate, where my example is radiate & cuirassed. Plus that example has a "S" rather than a digamma in the right field.

So is this an example which hasn't been catalogued previously? Or have I completely overlooked something. Any input gratefully received.

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Gallienus AE Antoninianus
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 11:54:13 pm »
The largest online collection of coins of Gallienus is at Coinproject.com.  Take a look there.  I don't know if it's there or not, but that's where I always start when I'm working on Gallienus.

Tom
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

Offline Aldo

• Legionary
Re: Gallienus AE Antoninianus
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 10:17:11 am »
Thanks Tom - I'll take a look.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity