Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ID for 2 Supposedly Rare Fibulas {1 Pair of Doves - 2 Abstract Symbol}  (Read 2362 times)

Offline Csaba N

• Legionary
Bought these beauties locally the dove pair one has an extraordinary patina the other one is a bit worn but still beautiful.

Images

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
Ave Casba N!

Not sure if either are rare, but neither of your two brooches are noted in Hattatt. The double-bird brooch is sweet and I've never seen one like that, although other members may have. Nice! 2nd cent. AD

Your 2nd brooch was presented upside-down. The motif appears to be Celtic with horse heads and hooves...again not represented in Hattatt. Just guessing...1st-2nd cent AD.

Best,

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline Csaba N

• Legionary
Thanks for the insights Mayadigger, I should grab Richard Hattatt's book on fibulas if I'll start collecting. Stumbled upon these from a seller on Facebook.

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
Ave!

+++ +++ +++

Go for it!

Best,

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

All coins are guaranteed for eternity