Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantine I - AE3 Votive - RIC 180 (VII, Siscia)  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Fitzwilk

• Praetorian
Constantine I - AE3 Votive - RIC 180 (VII, Siscia)
« on: April 07, 2016, 06:00:07 pm »
One of a small lot of 6 AE3 coins purchased from an Eastern European seller on eBay.   I will do a fake coin report when I figure out how to do the spliced image.  Copper clad over what appears to be aluminum.   Any insight into how it was made?  This one had me fooled until I filed on the edge. 

Offline Fitzwilk

• Praetorian
Re: Constantine I - AE3 Votive - RIC 180 (VII, Siscia)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 06:02:23 pm »
The obverse:

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 06:12:31 pm »
....  I will do a fake coin report when I figure out how to do the spliced image.  
Use this simple online tool ....
http://www.quickpicturetools.com/en/combine_images/
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 06:16:30 pm »
Copper clad over what appears to be aluminum.   Any insight into how it was made?  This one had me fooled until I filed on the edge.  

Probably cast in low melting point "white metal" then electroplated in copper sulfate solution.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline Fitzwilk

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 06:21:41 pm »
n.igma,  Thanks for the information and the link for the splicing tool.  I will do Fake Coin Reports on the other five coins when I get some time.

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 06:53:33 pm »
Do the other coins have the area like this one has at 6:30 on the obverse? Just wondering if it was a casting sprue.

Offline Fitzwilk

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 07:05:27 pm »
Do the other coins have the area like this one has at 6:30 on the obverse? Just wondering if it was a casting sprue.

The others don't appear to have that.  Here are three others from the lot:

Offline Fitzwilk

• Praetorian
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 07:10:33 pm »

Offline Fitzwilk

• Praetorian
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 07:29:40 pm »
Copper clad over what appears to be aluminum.   Any insight into how it was made?  This one had me fooled until I filed on the edge.  

Probably cast in low melting point "white metal" then electroplated in copper sulfate solution.

n.igma,  You are spot on with your assessment.  Hit this Constantine I camp gate (SMKr) Cyzicus with a lighter torch for about 5 seconds:

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 08:06:20 pm »
Hope you can leave neg feedback unless it's too late.

These look convincing and the patina looks good. Was the weight way off?

Offline Fitzwilk

• Praetorian
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 08:21:52 pm »
Too late for negative.  The weights seemed right, 3.2 to 3.6 grams for the votives and 4.4 grams for the Licinius follis.  The seller was not on the NFSL and seems to usually deal with more modern coins.  What made me suspicious was the edges of the coins.  They did not exhibit the typical roughness usually seen on these 4th century bronzes.

Offline Fitzwilk

• Praetorian
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 08:42:51 pm »
A correction to my original posting.  The seller is located in Spain, not in Eastern Europe.

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 12:17:35 am »

n.igma,  You are spot on with your assessment.  Hit this Constantine I camp gate (SMKr) Cyzicus with a lighter torch for about 5 seconds:

No test could be more definitive than that!

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 07:02:08 am »
Fake coin reports please.  Nomination?
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity