Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Books about museums or private collections.  (Read 7931 times)

Offline Perikles

• Consul
Books about museums or private collections.
« on: March 23, 2016, 07:09:05 pm »
Hallo,
could anybody recommend me books about museums or private collections of ancient greek coins except Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum?

Thanks a lot
Perikles
Ἐξ ἀνάγκης ἡ τοῦ νομίσματος ἐπορίσθη χρῆσις...,ὃ τῶν χρησίμων αὐτὸ ὂν εἶχε τὴν χρείαν εὐμεταχείριστον πρὸς τὸ ζῆν.
Ἀριστοτέλης, Πολιτικά

Taras

Re: Books about museums or private collections.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 06:53:43 pm »
For coinage of Magna Graecia I recommend these two volumes:

- Museo archeologico nazionale della Sibaritide. Il medagliere

- Taranto 1883: Il Medagliere prima del Museo

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 12:05:49 am »
A couple of published Australian Collections in large format, one coin per page with full attribution, description  numismatic discussion and historical notes for each coin (87 & 98 coins respectively) plus accompanying scholastic articles drawing upon each collection.

Plus Morkholm's publication of Hellenistc material from the Danish Coin Cabinet; a great read extensively illustrated with 656 ancient coins in 65 plates.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 12:30:48 am »
If you're interested in Alexander the Great this is a nice primer based on 32 coins from the Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Harvard University Arts Museums....
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline museumguy

• Caesar
  • I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 01:15:04 pm »
I have a copy of Greek and Roman Antiquities of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, which contains many pictures of coins throughout (along with of course many antiquities).  It was published in 1950 by Harvard University.

Steve S.

Taras

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 01:46:55 pm »
Some more suggestions from my personal library.
I made pics cause to transcribe all titles would be too long now, photos are a bit blurry, but enough clear to read titles and authors. this is a small selection, I have many more books on collections, hoards, exhibitions etc., some of them fundamental for Greek coinage, like Athos-Moretti, Cote, Pozzi, etc... but I have not time to take photos of all them now. Perikles, if you are searching something in particular pm me and I'll try to help.

Bye :)
Nico

Offline Perikles

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 02:49:42 pm »
Your interest has moved me so much. Thank you all of you very very much!!

Taras, i am searching books about Kyzikos. If you could help me, i would appreciate it.
And if anybody would like to find any old numismatic book, i can search in the library of Münzkabinett, Berlin. For me it is very easy to do that.

Perikles
Ἐξ ἀνάγκης ἡ τοῦ νομίσματος ἐπορίσθη χρῆσις...,ὃ τῶν χρησίμων αὐτὸ ὂν εἶχε τὴν χρείαν εὐμεταχείριστον πρὸς τὸ ζῆν.
Ἀριστοτέλης, Πολιτικά

Taras

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 03:01:54 pm »

Taras, i am searching books about Kyzikos. If you could help me, i would appreciate it.

Sorry, I do not know books on collections from Kyzikos, except those published as SNG.

Here two articles that may interest you.

https://www.docdroid.net/m4IDoQi/snr-003-2002-81-a-002-d.pdf.html
https://www.docdroid.net/FYiNRa2/snr-003-2004-83-a-003-d.pdf.html

Bye :)
Nico

Offline Perikles

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 03:19:49 pm »
Thank you Taras!

... i try to find generally books about Minor Asia because i don't think that there are many books about the coinage of Kyzikos.

Perikles
Ἀριστοτέλης, Πολιτικά

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 06:14:37 am »
Two titles now out of print, but can be found cheaply on [REMOVED BY ADMIN] and pertain to Australian collections, are from the the Macquarie University Museum of Ancient Cultures and the Nicholson Museum, both in Sydney.

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 11:07:29 am »
http://www.muenzgeschichte.ch/downloads/SNR86_2007_Kyzikos.pdf

Article by Frolova:
Cyzicenes from the State Historical Museum, Moscow and the State Hermitage Collections,
St. Petersburg

Offline Perikles

• Consul
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2016, 04:51:43 pm »
Thank you Helvetica!
Ἀριστοτέλης, Πολιτικά

All coins are guaranteed for eternity