Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ID request - confirm or assist - Conrad III Denaro(s)  (Read 827 times)

Offline CameronK

• Praetorian
    • Cameron Knowles Creative Services
ID request - confirm or assist - Conrad III Denaro(s)
« on: March 22, 2016, 10:28:57 pm »
I recently came across a near match to a coin in my collection which I tentatively identified as from Genoa, 12th-14th Century, Denaro of Conrad III. The tower is a little wider in my newer acquisition, and there appears to be a variation in the "R" in 'Rex".

Could anyone assist in confirming my thoughts on these coins, or helping me tune in the ID a little bit better? Each is 16mm, one is .9g the other is .8g

Thanks in advance for the opinions!

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: ID request - confirm or assist - Conrad III Denaro(s)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 04:26:25 am »
Hi Cam,

Your tentative attribution is mostly correct. There is much minor variation in this issue, mainly because it was minted for such a long period of time.

However, offhand, I think it is actually Conrad II, not Conrad III. But I'm not 100% sure.

Meepzorp

Offline CameronK

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 11:21:07 am »
Thank you for the opinion!

Quote from: Meepzorp on March 23, 2016, 04:26:25 am
Hi Cam,

Your tentative attribution is mostly correct. There is much minor variation in this issue, mainly because it was minted for such a long period of time.

However, offhand, I think it is actually Conrad II, not Conrad III. But I'm not 100% sure.

Meepzorp

Taras

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 02:26:03 pm »
Hi all :)

Quote from: Meepzorp on March 23, 2016, 04:26:25 am

I tentatively identified as from Genoa, 12th-14th Century, Denaro of Conrad III.

I think this way to identify the medieval coinage of Genoa is misleading, as the inscription CONRAD1 REX is not referring to a ruler of the city, that was a Republic indeed. The inscription appears on the coinage of Genoa during a time span of 200 years: from 1139 to 1340, so clearly it is not referring to a ruler, but it was just a tradition, based on the origins of the mint of the Republic. In fact  inscription refers to the following historical event: in 1138 a delegation of the Republic traveled to Nuremberg and was received by Conrad III, who had just been elected Rex Romanorum. Conrad III granted them the privilegium of issuing coins, giving them a special diploma, probably after the payment of a fee.

About the issue:

This is the earlier coinage of the Republic of Geneva. The denomination is Denaro (mix silver-copper alloy, ratio 2-1) which was the twelfth part of the Soldo.
The obverse type is commonly described as "castle" or "tower", but it is most likely a "city gate", as the medieval name of the city itself, also inscribed on the legend: IANVA means "door".
The most recent and complete studies on the mint are those by Monica Baldassarri. She proposed a classification based on the study of hoards and stratigraphic excavations. You can find a catalogue based on her studies at this link: http://numismatica-italiana.lamoneta.it/moneta/W-GEIAN/1

About the two coins posted here:

The one at right: is earlier, because it shows no puntuation in the reverse legend.
You can classify it as Baldassarri 2009, Group II.c
dated c. 1170 to 1210

The one at left, with the puntuation after REX:
You can classify it Baldassarri 2009, Group III.a
dated c. 1210 to 1240

there appears to be a variation in the "R" in 'Rex".

You are right, as noted by Baldassarri the earlier die shows the R made by two punches, whereas on later sample the R was made by three punches.

Regards :)
Nico

Offline CameronK

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 10:07:14 am »
Taras, thanks so much for the follow-up!

Taras

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 01:11:27 pm »
Don't mention it! For me it is always a pleasure to discuss ancient coins on this forum.
Bye :)
Nico

Offline CameronK

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 09:51:47 pm »
I was hoping someone could help me confirm or contradict my ID of this type of this coin. (Yes, I found another version of it!). It is 15mm/ 0.8 g.

Using the guide above, my guess is that it is another Baldassarri 2009, Group II.c dated c. 1170 to 1210. However, there is a slight variation in the Conrad legend from the previous one in the image above, so I'm not certain.

I appreciate any and all opinions. The image doesn't bear out the detail, but this little coin has a great about of natural coloring to it still and the detail is really bold. I really enjoy having it in my collection!

Thanks.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity