Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Umayyads Merwan II - Please Confirm or Correct My Attribution  (Read 1264 times)

Offline mrbigb625

• Consul
  • Cool forum!
I recently came across three Umayyads silver Dirhams. Although I cannot read Arabic or Persian, I've done a lot of research only to find my self fairly uncertain of my attributions. I will list the coins in individual posts.

This one I believe is:

Caliph, Merwan II 745 - 750 A.D.
Silver Dirham, 24.5mm max, 2.8g.
Date: AH124 742 A.D.
Mint: Wasit

If anyone can confirm or correct this attribution, it would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you

Nero 30

Re: Umayyads Merwan II - Please Confirm or Correct My Attribution
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 07:17:56 am »
Hi mrbigb625 ,
It is indeed Wasit mint Iraq, what I can read is year 124 Hijri (Around 742 A.D.), and this means it is attributed to Hisham Bin Abdulmalik.
I hope this was useful.
Regards.

Offline mrbigb625

• Consul
  • Cool forum!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 11:18:48 am »
Well this is a little embarrassing, Now that you have pointed it out, I can see the discrepancy in my own attribution.
Thank you, You have been very helpful.

Nero 30

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 02:52:51 am »
Dear mrbigb625:
There is nothing embarrassing with this it is very difficult to attribute these coins, the years are very difficult to read, I read Arabic and can not read them easily, for the other two coins I found some difficulties to read them but I will try more .
Regards.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity