Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: King Eanred coin ID?  (Read 1459 times)

Offline Matthew M3

• Praetorian
King Eanred coin ID?
« on: March 12, 2016, 02:45:04 am »
Hello,

I need help to identify this coin.

I'm pretty sure it's a Northumbrian styca of King Eanred, but I'm not 100%.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
Re: King Eanred coin ID?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 06:10:03 pm »
It does seem to be Eanred - North 186 and Spink 862. Can't work out the name of the moneyer though.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Matthew M3

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 07:47:38 pm »
Thanks Peter.

I think I may have found it in a Spink catalogue. The picture of the coin looks very similar to my coin. What are your thoughts?

The coin in the Spink catalogue says it's a possible imitation. Do you think mine is an imitation?

Thanks

Matt

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 12:31:56 am »
Dear Matthew M3, Peter, and Board,

Good detective work!  The names are the same on both coins, although the die pair used for each is different.

I am puzzled by the auction description, though, since the reverse (moneyer) side of the coin is not blundered to me, although the cross does bisect the name.  I can clearly read "E[A]DV + INI."  The irregular issues were often struck on ragged flans.  The quality of yours, as well as the other piece pictured, look rather respectable in my opinion.  Moreover, I get the impression from your coin that it may actually be composed of billon (a copper-silver alloy containing 50% or less silver) rather than brass or some other base metal alloy.  If this is so, then I would have to say right then and there that the issue in question is probably official, strengthened by the other evidence.  It should be noted that it is not uncommon for official die cutters to make spelling mistakes!         

I hope this helps.  An interesting find!

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Matthew M3

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 07:15:21 am »
Thank you very much Mark for that information, that has helped me a lot.

Matt

Offline St. George's Collection

• Praetorian
    • My medieval coins
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 04:30:50 pm »
It is a Northumbrian styca of Eanred, by the moneyer Eadwine.

The coin reads:
Obverse: EARNED REX
Reverse: EADV+INI

While the king's name is spelled wrong, I do not think it is an imitation.

It appears to be an earlier issue in some sort of base silver.  Eadwine struck coins for King Eanred in both silver and copper alloys.  There are some surface issues and a jagged flan but it is easily identifiable.

I collect these coins and you can view my collection here if interested:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5403

Offline Matthew M3

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 06:34:25 am »
Thank you very much Nap.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity