Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Thin square Islamic coin?  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
Thin square Islamic coin?
« on: February 15, 2016, 11:54:23 am »
I bought this coin recently from a dealer's junk box.  It is about 25 mm square and very thin.  The two punch marks are seen as inverse on the reverse.  One of the punch marks seems to have an inscription and other is either a heart or leaf (I think it is a leaf).  I don't have a weight but it is very thin.  I believe it is made of copper.  Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Offline James Anderson

• Consul
Re: Thin square Islamic coin?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 10:28:03 pm »
Maybe an ancient Indian punch mark coin (6th century BC and later). These were made by punching symbols, including plants and animals, into thin pieces of copper.
I found a picture of one that had this shape. That's all I know. Maybe someone more knowledgeable could follow up on it. Jim A

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 12:10:28 am »
I don't think it is since I collect those and have serval reference books on it.  I am fairly certain it is Islamic because of whom I bought it from.

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 08:28:26 pm »
I believe to have seen those amongst Ottoman weights from Tunesia

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 10:40:16 pm »
Thank you now I have to do some more research.  Any idea if there is information on the internet?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity