Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unusual Reverse on Lucius Verus Denarius  (Read 705 times)

Offline TenthGen

• Consul
  • Ferrata Fidelis Constans
Unusual Reverse on Lucius Verus Denarius
« on: February 08, 2016, 07:24:56 pm »
Hi everyone,

I recently acquired a group of silver denarii, and one has given me some trouble. I'm not really struggling to ID it, so much as I can't make sense of the reverse - it doesn't seem to match anything I can find in ERIC, Wildwinds, or the web in general.

Here is my attribution at this point: [L V]ERVS AVG ARM PARTH MAX, laureate head right / TR P VIII IMP V [or II] COS III, Pax standing left holding olive-branch and cornucopiae.

Weight: 2.832 g
18.0 mm max diameter, 16.5 mm min diameter
180 degree axis

"IMP II" for the reverse wouldn't make much sense here, and yet that is generally what it looks like. Plus, there are no reverses of this legend or a similar legend with Pax. My working assumption is that this is an engraver's error off of RIC 561 or 586, but the differences are substantial. Another possibility is that this coin is modern, which would be unfortunate. What looks a little like a pearl on the lower left of the reverse seems to just be part of the R upon close inspection, and I've taken a picture of the coin edge near the third I on the reverse.

I would appreciate any thoughts you all have about the denarius.

-Thank you!

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: Unusual Reverse on Lucius Verus Denarius
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 08:55:58 pm »
Possibly this one, with the scales not struck-up:
http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1649876
PeteB

Offline TenthGen

• Consul
  • Ferrata Fidelis Constans
Re: Unusual Reverse on Lucius Verus Denarius
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 02:44:30 am »
Hi Pete,

Thanks for the reply. I agree that it's a possibility, but the reverse legend would still be pretty different. I have a copy of Sear Vol II coming in this week, so I'm hoping that there will be something in there to help me reach some conclusions.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity