Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A rare Carausian Pax issue  (Read 501 times)

Online mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
A rare Carausian Pax issue
« on: February 06, 2016, 01:12:51 pm »
Hi,

I have been lucky with Carausius purchases this last couple of months (plus a simply marvellous gift of over two dozen Carausius and Allectus coins) and that continues with a “triple G” coin winging its way to me as I type.

On the face of it the coin looks to be just a London mint PAX AVGGG for Maximianus, however, closer inspection of the reverse type shows Pax to be holding a Victory on globe, rather than the usual branch.

It is a type that I only know of in two varieties, one for Carausius and one for Maximianus (numbers 31 and 32 respectively in my published listing of the three emperors coins). Not in fabulous condition, sadly, but a very rare variety all the same and one I am pleased to secure. Sorry for the poor dealer pictures.

Regards,

Mauseus

Online mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Re: A rare Carausian Pax issue
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 01:14:47 pm »
Hi,

In fact I have just realised that this is a NEW variety to me with a vertical, rather than transverse, sceptre.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Re: A rare Carausian Pax issue
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 04:42:58 pm »
Very nice find. Unlike you, I have not had much luck with Carausius purchases recently. Although, I did manage to pick-up a typical, Pax w/branch, triple-G for Diocletian from FORVM recently.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity