Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: What are the chances ?  (Read 1370 times)

hooverman

What are the chances ?
« on: February 06, 2016, 07:37:43 am »
Picked up a group of Romans this last week, not very well cleaned but in the group were three mules of Constantine I all die matched!

Odd issues as well, Ticinum mint with a Caesarum Nostrorum reverse.

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
Re: What are the chances ?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 11:08:03 am »
Incredible...or as Dr. Spock would say to Captain Kirk...1,680,000 to one...thanks...we probably will not see it ever again.
Did you purchase these from the same lot?

Offline Merinda

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 02:01:04 pm »
It looks like the bottom coin is overstruck ? Can you tell what the under type is, and whether the other coins are also overstruck ? I am curious as I have a couple of cons that are clearly imitations, but which appear to be overstruck on official coins, so I am wondering whether these fall into the same category

Kind regards

Allan

hooverman

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 03:06:57 pm »
Incredible...or as Dr. Spock would say to Captain Kirk...1,680,000 to one...thanks...we probably will not see it ever again.
Did you purchase these from the same lot?

Yes these are from the same group, I've just bought some more so we will see what turns up .

hooverman

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 03:16:56 pm »
It looks like the bottom coin is overstruck ? Can you tell what the under type is, and whether the other coins are also overstruck ? I am curious as I have a couple of cons that are clearly imitations, but which appear to be overstruck on official coins, so I am wondering whether these fall into the same category

Kind regards

Allan

Hi Allan,

I've had a look under the scope and it looks like it could be a jump. The only visible section of the legend is '...ANT....' The other two appear to be a single strike.

These could be barbarous, I've compared them to an official coin and they are of poorer style. Obviously the reverse legend didn't feature on the wreath VOT X series at Ticinum.

Offline Merinda

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 06:05:33 pm »
Thanks Hooverman - I thought the letters under the bust could be the remains of a mint mark, but just a double strike by the sounds of it

Agree that they look barbarous, eg. The poorly aligned reverse text and the flat style of the bust

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 06:20:05 pm »
Are you absolutely sure they're ancient? They have some of the characteristics of the pressed Late Roman fakes from 2009. I don't remember where but recently I saw another coin that was not part of the original set of fakes but had the same look.
Andreas Reich

hooverman

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 07:18:24 pm »
Are you absolutely sure they're ancient? They have some of the characteristics of the pressed Late Roman fakes from 2009. I don't remember where but recently I saw another coin that was not part of the original set of fakes but had the same look.

In the hand I can see no reason to doubt them at all, though I will admit to being initially very cautious.

The pitting on the first issue extends to the legends, the second has minor chatter on the reverse, the third has jumped.....

There appears to be some oddities in this group, the first I have, the second is on its way and needs some better pictures.

These are of course among standard issues.

Offline leetoone

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Yorkshire, England
    • Lee Toone
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 01:08:34 pm »
Funnily enough, not unusual. I have had a number of coins from hoards that come from the same dies. They 'stick' together for a while and grow apart as they circulate. When you think about it, if you get nice shiny coins in your change they came from the same bag or roll and were probably struck from the same die. Over time they separate.

So if they were put in the hoard close to the source then this is not a surprise.

Always nice to come across them though.

hooverman

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 06:04:26 am »
Good points Lee, I have come across everything you have said but these coins were in a much smaller group.

Offline L.e.

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 05:50:31 pm »

I share your doubts...the style is very strange and different from that of the IV century constantinian bronze (look for example at the V of reverse legend).
We have here two oddities: mule coins and all from the same dies... ::)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity