Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: $10 Cell phone photography tip  (Read 2022 times)

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
$10 Cell phone photography tip
« on: February 06, 2016, 02:52:03 am »
So... I don't have a gallery.... or any really great photos of my coins (yet). However I do have tip for those, like me that use iPhones or similar, for quick pictures of coins.

Anyway I bought a cheap phone attachment kit, thinking I wouldn't get much out of it but it actually works pretty well. Anyway, check out these quick test pics.

I thought those lens kits were all junk but they aren't bad!

In the kit:
Macro
Fisheye
Wide-lens

Josh

PS: the first pic is a little out of focus but it is just due to quickly taking test pictures.

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: $10 Cell phone photography tip
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 12:53:49 pm »
Splendid! Amazing for a cell phone!
Well done!
PeteB

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 12:57:57 pm »
And what model phone do you use?
PeteB

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 01:42:33 pm »
I couldn't find the brand name on the components last night but after some searching I found that the brand is called Lieqi. A Google seach of "Lieqi, phone, camera" should find them.

It appears that there are newer, fancier, and a bit more expensive ($20) ones out now but I'm sure with some looking you could find the same ones I bought for around $10 (I got them a year ago for a trip and am just now trying them out). Edit: I just found some listed on eBay for $5.

I use a iPhone (6) but I think these could be used for about any phone as they just clip on over the edge of your phone to sit over the lens.

The macro (close-up) lens is awesome and works really well but to be honest the wide-lens and fisheye aren't great (at least I haven't gotten them to work well yet).

Anyway, for those looking for a cheap way to do some macro shots, these do work really well and aren't too expensive.

Josh

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 02:12:26 pm »
Thanks for the tip, Josh.  I just ordered one.

Offline stlnats

• Caesar
  • Release the puffin!
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 02:19:32 pm »
+1 to all of the other comments.  Amazingly good, detailed photos.  Thanks for the tip!

;D

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 04:32:14 pm »
Just curious: what did you use to take the third photo?
Quite sharp!
peteB

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 04:40:58 pm »
Nice Idea, if you are on the way, it is help you to document some things (coins) :)  ;D
because your handy is always with you.... +++

(p.s. I have it.. :) +++ ;) )
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 04:06:25 am »
Hi Akropolis, the third photo was taken with my iPhone too. Light is the most important factor. My phone is pretty terrible in low-light. Theses were taken with an adjustable lamp that can put light directly on the subject within inches if needed. So although there is shaddow, there was a strong light source.

About the macro shot: I used the same light source but the more you are focusing in, the more you lose light. I had a ton of light on the coin but the focus makes it look darker. Without a very strong light source, the detail wouldn't be sharp.

Josh

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 01:23:09 pm »
May be you can used your iPhone instead of your lupe  .:)

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity