Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: John III Ducas-Vatazes Head of Cherub SBCV 2115  (Read 999 times)

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
John III Ducas-Vatazes Head of Cherub SBCV 2115
« on: February 04, 2016, 10:42:21 pm »
I really love this new coin I got from FORUM.

Empire of Nicaea
John III Ducas-Vatazes

Tetarteron  1.97gm 19.3mm  SBCV 2115 aVF

It has the head of a Cherub with four wings, one thing I found very interesting was the most common reference that came up when I was looking up Cherub with wings was the Ark of the Covenant. Going a bit deeper I found this article from Yale.

http://brbl-archive.library.yale.edu/exhibitions/speculum/8r-cherub-six-wings.html

Just thought I would share this beautiful coin.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: John III Ducas-Vatazes Head of Cherub SBCV 2115
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 10:59:49 pm »
Very interesting to see that on a coin.  Here is a 14th century icon by Theophanes Grek.

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 05:34:02 am »
Thank you for the Theophanes icon, which I had not seen before. Is it in the Kremlin? It looks surprisingly modern for a 14th century work.

The Yale article was a little puzzling, because it didn’t reference Isaiah 6, which is a locus classicus for the six-winged seraph.  The Theophanes icon, with its 3-fold AΓΙΟC inserts, clearly takes its inspiration from Isaiah 6.

“Seraphs were in attendance above him; each had six wings: with two they covered their faces, and with two they covered their feet, and with two they flew. And one called to another and said: ‘Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts; the whole earth is full of his glory.’”
(Isaiah 6:2-3 NRSV)

‘Covered their feet’ is a Hebrew euphemism meaning ‘covered their genitals’.

Bill R.

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 05:39:45 am »
I really love this new coin I got from FORUM.

Empire of Nicaea
John III Ducas-Vatazes

Tetarteron  1.97gm 19.3mm  SBCV 2115 aVF

It has the head of a Cherub with four wings, one thing I found very interesting was the most common reference that came up when I was looking up Cherub with wings was the Ark of the Covenant. Going a bit deeper I found this article from Yale.

http://brbl-archive.library.yale.edu/exhibitions/speculum/8r-cherub-six-wings.html

Just thought I would share this beautiful coin.

Nice find,

Congratulation Simon..:)

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 06:43:32 am »
Thank You Q. I am proud of that one.

Bill, download the pdf on that page. That contains the complete article, It does speak of Isaiah.

Best,

Simon
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity