Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Greek - owl  (Read 687 times)

Alc

Greek - owl
« on: February 04, 2016, 03:45:53 pm »
Hello,

Could anyone help me to identify this coin?
18mm and 5.37gr

Thank you,
alc

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Greek - owl
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 11:43:38 am »

Maybe this?

KINGS of THRACE. Adaios. Circa 253-243 BC. Æ (19mm, 6.90 g, 12h). Helmeted head of Athena right; c/m: star on helmet / Owl standing right on spearhead; two monograms to left. SNG BM Black Sea 332 (with countermark)

Alc

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 12:43:32 pm »
Thank you Pekka. I will keep this one as a reference. I found also, in coins attributed to other Macedonian kings, stars similar in style with the one at owl's side, but I couldn't find the exactly the same item.

Regards,
alc

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 12:56:25 pm »
There is one on wildwinds with better owl, but I have
noted that links to wildwinds don't work propelry.

Pekka K

edit: this may work

Alc

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 01:14:17 pm »
Found this one. Yes the star looks very similar to that at owl's side.
I have a few items which took a lot of my time and I had no success in finding them. I will list in a few minutes, two other of them, because it seems impossible for me :).

Thank you again.
All the best!
alc

All coins are guaranteed for eternity