Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantine The Great VOT X  (Read 773 times)

Offline Peter Wissing

• Consul
Constantine The Great VOT X
« on: February 04, 2016, 01:28:21 pm »
This is my id for this coin, any comments ?

Laureate head right

CONSTANTINVS AVG

CONSTANTINVS: Constantine 
AVG: Augustus, emperor

Reverse
D N CONSTANTINI MAX AVG, around wreath enclosing VOT / XX; Our Lord Constantine The Greart, Emperor,  (VOT / XX ? )
D N: Dominus Noster, our lord
CONSTANTINI: Constantine
MAX: Maximus, the Great
AVG: Emperor

VOT: Vota: Vows
XX ?:

Domination: Bronze AE 3, size 19 mm

Mint:

Ars Longa Vita Brevis

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Constantine The Great VOT X
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 09:52:24 am »
Yours is the earlier Vota struck only at Thessalonica circa 318.

The obverse is CONSTAN - TINVS AVG, laureate cuirassed bust right.

The reverse legend is VOT XX / MVLT / XXX / TS :Greek_Delta: all in a wreath.  There are no letters outside or below the wreath.

It is possible that the last letter is not  :Greek_Delta: though most with this bust were struck at the 4th officina

It RIC, Volume VII, Thessalonica, 31.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Peter Wissing

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 10:10:09 am »
Hi Shawn
Thank you for your help and ID, I think your id i very correct :-)
Regards
John
Ars Longa Vita Brevis

Offline Victor C

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Constantine the Great
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 10:24:46 am »
I have seen about equal amounts gamma and delta for this issue, but without being able to actually see the workshop there is no point in trying to say which it is. There is also always a possibility that it is one of the other workshops out of five possible, though I don't recall seeing any examples for A,B or epsilon.

The best way to record this mintmark would be something like this...and don't forget the dots, which are part of the mintmark-   •TS •[?]•   with the bracketed question mark reflecting the uncertainty of the exact officina

also •XXX• is correct versus plain XXX
Victor Clark

LRB gallery

Offline Peter Wissing

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 01:01:16 pm »
Hi Victor
OK, but we are close to a perfect ID.
Regards
John
Ars Longa Vita Brevis

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 08:10:32 am »
Yes, Victor is absolutley right.  I have seen far more  :Greek_Delta: myself, but RIC-VII makes it clear that it was struck at  :Greek_Gamma: an  :Greek_Delta: in roughly the same frequency.  If you are lucky you might be able to make out which it is.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Peter Wissing

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 10:03:07 am »
Hi Shawn
Thank you for your additional comments, it is always great to get comments and different views, sometimes it is difficult to make a 100% perfect ID.

By the way, a seller wants to sell me these 2 coins, and he wants about 28 $, is it a good price

1. Castulo, Spain, 1st century BC. AE 29. Male head (resembling Augustus) right, / helmeted sphinx advancing right.
2. Spain, Castulo. Late 2nd Century BC. AE 27 mm. Diademed male head right; hand before / helmeted sphinx walking right.

I have found some similar coins on this page, they are not roman but Greek, or Greek coins used in the Roman Spanish colony by the romans ?

http://edgarlowen.com/greek-coins-spain-italy.shtml
Regards
John
Ars Longa Vita Brevis

All coins are guaranteed for eternity