Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 3 Seleucids AE16 coins  (Read 481 times)

Offline the10thlegion

• Consul
3 Seleucids AE16 coins
« on: February 04, 2016, 12:12:14 am »
Here are 3 similar coins (apologies for the low quality images).
All 3 have
Obverse: Laur head Apollo R w formal curls
Reverse: Tripod w anchor below on reverse, Monograms on either side
roughly 16 mm ea and range in weight roughly 4.5 g ea

Coin A has the legend ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ which w my limited knowledge and recources I attribute it to Antiochus II Theos.

Coin B has the legend ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΣΕΛΕΥΚΟΥ I'd guess Seleukos II maybe SC

Coin C I can only make out the ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ on the right side of the tripod and ??? can't determine if it's KOY or XOY on the left side (or something completely different for that matter)

My first question would be aside from the legend what would one look for that would give clues to more closely attribute these coins?
Am I even close on the first 2?
Any reference would be a nice finish.

I've had a long 3 days - If the pics are of no help I'll see if I can do a better job in the next couple days.

Thanks for your time.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: 3 Seleucids AE16 coins
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 09:15:43 am »
There are a lot of minor varieties of these, depending on the monograms in the extreme left and right fields, and, frustratingly, usually one or more of the monograms needed for exact identification is off the planchet or not struck up.  These are found in some quantity in Thrace and thought to have been struck as sitarchia, the daily allowance money of the Seleucid soldiers usually spent on food and drink.  It is traditionally thought these were struck at Sardes, but there may have been a mint in Thrace as well.  Lysimacheia later overstruck a lot of these.  Interesting coins!

Offline the10thlegion

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 10:34:27 am »
Interesting, so to say Sardis is to use an incorrect assumption? They could be from Thrace as well - and if the coin appears to be over struck then maybe Lysimacheia? In their condition & not perfectly centered one can only generalize.

I especially like the trivia you added, daily ration money.

One final question, of this style of coin what is the date range? Antiochus II Theos, I gather, was from 261-246 BC & Seleukos II 246-226 BC. Were their other rulers before or after that minted this coin?

I think I over exposed the pics last night. The condition of all 3 aren't that great and I hoped the more lighting would show what features remain, it didn't. Was too tired to really play with it.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 07:47:00 pm »
These all seem to be Antiochus II.  Some were certainly made at Sardes, but many people think there was a subsidiary mint in ThraceLysimacheia later overstruck these with the own type and sometimes you can see a bit of the legend, the tripod, or head peaking out under the Lysimacheia types.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 07:58:58 pm »
Some varieties might have been struck at Tralles, too.  Specifically those with  an awkward  looking N in the inscription.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity