Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Commodus SPONSOR denarius unusual head direction  (Read 973 times)

Offline timka

• Caesar
Commodus SPONSOR denarius unusual head direction
« on: February 03, 2016, 05:01:30 pm »
Hi!

Please have a look at this denarius of Commodus with Hercules and Commodus himself on the reverse. It is not very common type, but it is not rare too - 4 in RD hoard, about 7 on acsearch. Interestingly, that all coins from acsearch and BM collection (2) have the head of Commodus turned right, towards Jupiter. I got the coin where his head is turned to left, so Commodus and Jupiter look in the same direction - just an interesting variation to share!  

ob. L AEL AVREL COMM AVG P FEL, laureate head right
rev. I O M SPONSOR SEC AVG, Commodus standing left, head left , holding globe and scepter; behind, Jupiter standing left, holding thunderbolt and placing hand on Commodus’ shoulder.

RIC 255 (R)

17x18mm - 2,25g - 1h

Thank you for your time.

Cheers,

Z.

Offline Pharsalos

• Consul
Re: Commodus SPONSOR denarius unusual head direction
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 05:37:05 pm »
This sestertius issue has a similar design. Seems like Commodus grew up to be a real tall guy, even slightly taller than Jupiter himself.

Offline Pharsalos

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 06:27:53 pm »
Actually there is one example of your reverse type on acsearch, but you will need to remove the word 'sponsor' to find it - it is a recent London Ancient Coins auction sale, October 2015. Appears to be a very scarce reverse type indeed.

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 04:51:08 am »
Quote from: Pharsalos on February 03, 2016, 05:37:05 pm
This sestertius issue has a similar design. Seems like Commodus grew up to be a real tall guy, even slightly taller than Jupiter himself.

... that is really funny that he is taller than Jupiter on denarius:)...I guess he was sure he was a God towards the end of his reign.

Thank you for showing this sestertius - gorgeous - I have never seen this type before!

...and yes, Im sure there are many more with 'left head' around. RIC did not specify the head direction for this type - so no one seems to care about this detail really:)...

thank you!

Offline Ronald

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 03:37:23 pm »
 +++I like it

All coins are guaranteed for eternity