Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Please call if you have questions 252-646-1958. Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderators: AlexB, quadrans)  |  Topic: Ghazan legend 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ghazan legend  (Read 513 times)
77HK77
Consul

« on: January 21, 2016, 01:46:09 pm »

After many years collecting smack in the middle of the Roman Empire I’ve found myself drifting into some new areas. Recently Ilkhans

From what I can find online I believe the translations below are correct for Ghazan Mahmud type Album 2172- not from my own translation but from viewing other's postings of the same coin.
 Can someone please confirm if they are correct?

In Arabic
“There is no God but Allah, Muhammad is His Prophet
Minted in Baghdad in year 7XX”

In Uighur
“By the strength of the Heaven/ Ghazan Mahmud/ Coin struck for Ghazan”

Ghazan’s name also in Chinese and Arabic

Also what are some good reference works for Ilkhan coins?
Quant.Geek
Consul

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 10:18:31 am »

Never got around to fully transcribing this coin as I got stuck with the Mongolian script.  Not an easy script to transcribe  Undecided, but what I typically do is peek into some of the books in Google for the transcriptions.  Specifically, The Sylloge of Islamic Coins in the Ashmolean Museum, Iran After the Mongol Invasion, Volume 10:

https://books.google.com/books?id=1nnJr5iPtBMC

The preview shows a good chunk of the coins from this era.  One of these days, I'll finish the transcription...
lv88
Consul

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 08:32:48 pm »

Diler's Book is the standard work on this coinage.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderators: AlexB, quadrans)  |  Topic: Ghazan legend « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop