Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Cincinnati Art Museum Provenance  (Read 5088 times)

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Cincinnati Art Museum Provenance
« on: January 17, 2016, 12:49:56 am »
I've been researching a coin that I acquired at NYINC with no stated provenance. I've discovered an auction listing stating that this coin was displayed at the Cincinnati Art Museum, 1994-2008, and giving a number (perhaps a collection number, catalogue number or guide number).  Is anyone familiar with an ancient coin display at this museum during 1994-2008, and was there a catalogue or guide to the coins on display?  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
Re: Cincinnati Art Museum Provenance
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 03:25:00 pm »
Probably ex- Jacob K. Stein Collection (Gemini V, 6 January 2009), displayed at Cincinnati Art Museum 1994-2008 in an exhibition of 182 coins from his collection.

Refer to the Gemini V catalaogue for details of Stein's collection, which was disposed of via this auction (another one to chase in old auction catalogue madness  ;D).  Also a few  examples were resold in CNG 97, Triton XVII and Triton XIX.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Re: Cincinnati Art Museum Provenance
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 07:05:33 pm »
Thank you, N.  You are correct about Gemini V.  On acsearch I had found a Gemini V listing for this coin, which is how I learned of the Cincinnati Art Museum display; but acsearch didn't reference the Jacob Stein Collection, so that information is very helpful. My hope is that the Museum catalogue/guide might have further provenance for the coin (i.e. Mr. Stein's source) to satisfy Museum requirements, though museum requirements may not be as stringent for items on loan. I've sent an e-mail inquiry to the Museum, so we'll see if anything comes from that. Meanwhile, I will track down Gemini V and see if there is more to glean from the catalogue.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity