Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Zapolya Hungarian denar ID  (Read 1228 times)

Offline agord

• Consul
Zapolya Hungarian denar ID
« on: January 15, 2016, 11:33:30 pm »
Looked for this in Huszar but could not find a match. The legends and description seem to match 875, except that that is a double thick gold denar and mine is silver. I could no find a matching silver coin, but then I can't read German.
Any help appreciated.

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Zapolya Hungarian denar ID
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 05:18:30 pm »
Huszar 875 does not match this coin (even apart from gold v silver), as there is a wolf in the escutcheon on H.875 (the symbol of Zapolyai) whereas there is an eagle in the escutcheon on this coin (the Jagiellon symbol).  I also don't see a match in Huszar.  Stkp

Offline agord

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 08:10:01 pm »
Thanks. The pic in Huszar is not detailed enough for me to see the wolf, or my eyes are worse than I thought. A disadvantage to not being able to read the German. The line drawing in Unger is easier to see, but I had not noticed as I was concentrating on the legends. Those are the only references I have for Hungary. Will keep watching online for a match.

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 10:34:56 am »
I checked PohlStill no match.  But Pohl notes that Huszar 881 (which is as close to your coin as one is going to get; minor legend variation) was struck in 1527 with the mark K-T with the Jagiellon eagle.  Louis II Jagiellon died in 1526 so a few stray coins with his symbol in the next year makes sense.  But your coin was issued three years later from an unrelated mint.  I offer no explanation.  Enjoy the coin!

By the way, if you are unwilling to tackle the German, there is a new book on medieval Hungarian coinage in English (although it ends with Matthias Corvinus and would not include the Jagiellons or Zapolyai) that you may like as a supplement to Huszar and Unger.  It was written by Jedrzej George Frynas and is available through Spink.  It offers less information than either of the books you have, and does little to update those books, so I suggest it only for the use of English.

Stkp

Offline agord

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 10:51:02 am »
By my low translation skill it appears H-879 U-703 has the eagle, but with a R-A mark and year 1528. Will keep watching and see what I can find. Thanks for the help.

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 11:16:08 am »
You are right. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity