Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: NYINC 2016  (Read 5511 times)

Offline jmuona

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
NYINC 2016
« on: January 02, 2016, 10:05:30 am »
Anyone coming to NYINC next week?
I will be in at some time every day and on Saturday I will give a talk on Provincial and Imperial coins of Otho. I would be delighted to meet Forum members there!
s.
Jyrki Muona

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: NYINC 2016
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 03:18:58 pm »
I will be there on Saturday only.  I will go to your talk.  See you there.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Metrodorus

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 05:02:25 pm »
I live in the area, and as I've splurged on a high grade Fausta and Julian each, plus a Kushan bronze, I won't be there to buy, but to catch a lecture or two, so I might be able to catch your lecture next weekend.

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 10:58:50 pm »
Looking forward to your talk.  I wish this show had more such programs.  The programs that exist are packed into the afternoom, which makes it tough for a single day visitor to get enough time at booths and programs.
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 07:12:32 pm »
I will be at the show tomorrow only.  Stkp

Metrodorus

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 04:27:14 pm »
Hello all,
How was the show, and how did the lectures go?
Unfortunately I couldn't go this year (not just for blowing my annual coin budget this past year either), as the water heater in my apartment gave out and had to go get a new one installed. I'm especially peeved as I wanted to attend Jyrki's lecture, plus the one covering Oriental coinage.

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 05:49:37 pm »
Jyrki's presentation was very informative.  In a nutshell, he has studied every Otho type and applied his scientific expertise in biology to categorizing and analyzing Otho coins.  Unlike many studies, and certainly unlike early/mid 20th C. methods, he applied both statistical analysis and more technologically sophisticated photographic analysis to identify dies and die pairs.  He also very generously allowed many of his coins to be tested for metallurgy and factored those results into the die analysis to come up with a chronological theory -- all fitting within Otho's barely 90 day reign.  I was quite surprised at the number of dies he identified, as well as the statistical analysis of the number of dies that probably existed but have not come to light.  (I have to admit I could not keep with the statistics on that aspect!)  I think Jyrki said his papers are available on line.
Jyrki also made the presentation move smoothly.  He has deep in statistics, but the hour flew by.

For me, this presentation was the highlight of NYINC this year. I did not go to the auctions, but their press releases said they did well.  (A smaller scale dealer told me they were over-stated, but I have no direct info.) I went on both weekend days and did not see many coins in my area, and, of those, I routinely heard "consignment, I can only give you maybe 5%", which is not very encouraging at a show.  Many dealers had packed up by noon on Sunday, but I do not know if that is unusual.  It also seemed like there are fewer ancients, both coins and dealers, each year.  And more slabbed coins, which I personally find unappealing and geared simply to speculating.

NYINC would benefit from more programs like Jyrki's presentation. 
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Metrodorus

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 08:03:57 pm »
Thanks for sharing! I'd say more, but I'm just too impressed by Jyrki's efforts and expertise to say much more.
I'd really like to read his research someday.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 10:18:24 pm »
For the first time, I attended the show over two days.  I felt much less rushed than usual.  I had time to peruse the bourse at a leisurely pace.  I had time to inspect auction lots and to attend a couple of auctions.  I bought a few coins at the bourse and a few more coins at the auctions. I attended a delightful brunch (thanks Andrew and Scott), saw some Forum friends (Carthago and Andrew McCabe) and made several new acquaintances, both collectors and dealers. I sat with the “Republican Mafia” at the RBW Library Auction and bought several books (beware – more “Auction Catalogue Madness” posts are coming). Great coin fun all around.  Unfortunately, I missed Jyrki’s lecture, because an auction took longer than I expected.

Show attendance seemed light on Friday, and Saturday was only slightly better.  I’ve never attended on Saturday before and I expected the show would be packed that day – it wasn’t – but I don’t know if that is unusual.  On both days, I never waited more than a minute or two to look at any dealer’s stock.  Perhaps the unfavorable exchange rate kept out the European collectors or perhaps the internet is still killing coin shows, or maybe a little of both.  I was surprised by the high hammer total reported by one of the major auction houses, because I thought hammer prices for the ancient material were a bit soft (other than the coins I wanted… >:().

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 10:28:58 pm »
Quote from: Carausius on January 12, 2016, 10:18:24 pm
For the first time, I attended the show over two days.  I felt much less rushed than usual.  I had time to peruse the bourse at a leisurely pace.  I had time to inspect auction lots and to attend a couple of auctions.  I bought a few coins at the bourse and a few more coins at the auctions. I attended a delightful brunch (thanks Andrew and Scott), saw some Forum friends (Carthago and Andrew McCabe) and made several new acquaintances, both collectors and dealers. I sat with the “Republican Mafia” at the RBW Library Auction and bought several books (beware – more “Auction Catalogue Madness” posts are coming). Great coin fun all around.  Unfortunately, I missed Jyrki’s lecture, because an auction took longer than I expected.

Show attendance seemed light on Friday, and Saturday was only slightly better.  I’ve never attended on Saturday before and I expected the show would be packed that day – it wasn’t – but I don’t know if that is unusual.  On both days, I never waited more than a minute or two to look at any dealer’s stock.  Perhaps the unfavorable exchange rate kept out the European collectors or perhaps the internet is still killing coin shows, or maybe a little of both.  I was surprised by the high hammer total reported by one of the major auction houses, because I thought hammer prices for the ancient material were a bit soft (other than the coins I wanted… >:().

Carausius summed it up nicely.  I do like the term "Republican Mafia" as it was really fun at the auction hanging with you and the other guys.  You made some nice scores too (that special Hess auction in particular!)

I love NYINC.  It's really my only numismatic event and I look forward to it all year long! 

C

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 10:40:08 pm »
I wanted to go this year but with a 30%+ exchange rate it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Offline jmuona

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 02:54:19 am »
CNGs very high auction result was clearly due to the great gold collection they auctioned - not Ancients as such.
Jyrki Muona

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 08:02:54 am »
Quote from: Carausius on January 12, 2016, 10:18:24 pm

As I watched the RBW auction on my phone I was trying to guess which lots you guys were bidding on. Unfortunately, I was outbid on an RBW book, Spanheim, lot 299, by a floor bidder.

Maybe next year I'll be able to attend.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 11:03:03 am »
I had a ball of fun, socially, with a week packed with small and large dinners, and shared food ranging from white truffles and pasta, pigs feet with rice and beans, whole Peking duck, and Popeye's chicken with a diverse range of good friends, mostly washed down with champagne or Red Stripe beer. Some great nightclubs too, new york was hopping. Year on year as the show gets gradually quieter, the socials gets nosier. I loved the brunch I shared with carthago and Carausius with inevitably some interesting show and tell coins. Bought nothing at the coin auctions but there were a few pricy and hopefully wise retail buys. As for books, the RBW library yielded just a few obscure rarities - I was priced out all over - but I was very happy to get a 1566 first edition of Golzius' Fasti Imperatorum complete with some 250 fine plates, completely disbound but I'll soon fix that.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 11:06:17 am »
I was very happy to get a 1566 first edition of Golzius' Fasti Imperatorum complete with some 250 fine plates, completely disbound but I'll soon fix that.

Nice one! Congrats!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity