Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ghazan legend  (Read 1053 times)

Offline 77HK77

• Caesar
Ghazan legend
« on: January 21, 2016, 03:46:09 pm »
After many years collecting smack in the middle of the Roman Empire I’ve found myself drifting into some new areas. Recently Ilkhans

From what I can find online I believe the translations below are correct for Ghazan Mahmud type Album 2172- not from my own translation but from viewing other's postings of the same coin.
 Can someone please confirm if they are correct?

In Arabic
“There is no God but Allah, Muhammad is His Prophet
Minted in Baghdad in year 7XX”

In Uighur
“By the strength of the Heaven/ Ghazan Mahmud/ Coin struck for Ghazan”

Ghazan’s name also in Chinese and Arabic

Also what are some good reference works for Ilkhan coins?

Offline Quant.Geek

• Consul
Re: Ghazan legend
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 12:18:31 pm »
Never got around to fully transcribing this coin as I got stuck with the Mongolian script.  Not an easy script to transcribe  :-\, but what I typically do is peek into some of the books in Google for the transcriptions.  Specifically, The Sylloge of Islamic Coins in the Ashmolean Museum, Iran After the Mongol Invasion, Volume 10:

https://books.google.com/books?id=1nnJr5iPtBMC

The preview shows a good chunk of the coins from this era.  One of these days, I'll finish the transcription...

Offline lv88

• Consul
    • Armenian Numismatic Page
Re: Ghazan legend
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 10:32:48 pm »
Diler's Book is the standard work on this coinage.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity