Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: LICINIUS II  (Read 835 times)

Offline sinnb-sinnb

• Consul
LICINIUS II
« on: December 20, 2015, 04:16:31 am »
HI. I can´t find any thing about this Licinius II coin, I only can find something about Licinius BEATA TRAN-QVILLITAS where Licinius are RADIATE or looking left, but on this coin he is with LAUREATE and looking right.
Can anyone help me find anything about this coin or perhaps tell me if it is an imitation?

Size:         19,5 mm
Weight:     2,57 g

Material: Copper

Thank you in advance
Johnny

Offline clueless

• Caesar
Re: LICINIUS II
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 06:17:05 am »
Nice find, apparently unlisted.

It's struck at Trier, I think I can read PTR as mintmark and the bust is interesting, laureate, cuirassed, with shield and spear pointing forwards. This bust is labeled as G9 using Bruun's labels from RIC

You should contact the gentleman who is gathering the data found here:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/notinric/index.html

Cheers,

Clueless

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 07:45:27 am »

Likely irregular issue and in my opinion Licinius I,
as there seems to be "V" in end of obverse legend
pointing to AVG.

Pekka K

Offline sinnb-sinnb

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 08:29:47 am »
Thank You Pekka for looking into this Identification, you tell that it looks like Licinius I, but is there any BEATA TRANQVILLITAS coin with Licinius I? Or do you think that the coin is an Imitation.
Here are some photos of the coin taken in 25 x magnification.

On the photo of the front, it seems to me like the G in AVG, like the L in LICINIVS is almost into the bust.

Johnny

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 08:55:03 am »

Those are the main reasons assuming your coin minted in
irregular mint.

Pekka K

Offline sinnb-sinnb

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 10:53:27 am »
Thank you Pekka, now I understand.

As LICINIUS II was not an August the letters around the bust can´t end with AVG, so therefore it only can be an irregular mint.

It of course breaks my heart that it was not an unregistered coin. For a rookie like me it would have been a huge ting to find such a coin.

Thanks Johnny

All coins are guaranteed for eternity