Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Plankenhorn Collection  (Read 3087 times)

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
Plankenhorn Collection
« on: November 22, 2015, 04:53:31 pm »
Can anyone please tell me what or who is the Plankenhorn collection ?
It is often cited as a reference, e.g. in RPC supplement III, in various sales
catalogs - is it a private collection ? If so, does anyone know how I can
contact the owner ? Is it a collection in a public collection (e.g. Berlin, ANS, BMC,
Paris) ? If so, where is it ?
Internet searches are no help at all.
Thanks !

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
Re: Plankenhorn Collection
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 05:27:59 pm »

Since the collection recently came up for sale, at least the Lydian part of it we are all asking that question...

c.rhodes

Offline FlaviusDomitianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 05:11:48 am »
According to the preliminary notes on RPC II it is (was?) a private German collection.

Alberto

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 07:07:11 am »
Yes, I spent several days into the wee small hours checking every one of the Lydians against my research lists and found a number of references for coins which were described as "not in the usual catalogs" and copying the images for wildwinds and for the planned new Lydian catalog - I sent the list of these more obscure references to Marcus Naumann, and also found a number of coins which I did not have in my lists. A couple were wrongly described or had incorrect references.
Especially interesting were the multiple-coin lots, several of which included either extremely rare coins, or what I will call unlisted types (i.e. not in my extensively researched lists).
A friend of mine bought over 200 coins and several of the lots.

Herr Plankenhorn also has a huge collection of coins from Troas so I hope we will be seeing them in a future Naumann sale when Johannes Nollé has finished cataloging them.

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 10:09:40 am »
Here's a Plankenhorn coin (Persephone / The Rape of Persephone, from Nysa, Naumann 52.1159, 18mm, 5.84g) that's at least incompletely described; what drew me to the coin was the doubling of the iconic grain/poppy-pod on obverse and reverse, though the Naumann description * notes only the second occurrence. The grain/poppy-pod on reverse shows up right where the magistrates' triple initials show up on the rare issues noted in Isegrim (Lydische Stadtmuenzen 108.8 and SNG Cop 306 / BMC 15 [2nd scan here]); despite CNG's note on a weaker example (https://cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=67275), the Plankenhorn coin is a quite distinct issue, perhaps underlying those others.

* LYDIA. Nysa. Ae (1st century BC).
Obv: Head of Kore right, wearing grain wreath; grain ear and poppy to left. Rev: NVΣAEΩN. Hades in galloping quadriga right, carrying off struggling Persephone; below, overturned flower basket containing grain ear and poppy.
Cf. SNG von Aulock 3044; SNG Copenhagen 306 var. (magistrate); BMC 15 var. (same); SNG München 350.
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 10:27:20 am »
Another Plankenhorn coin incompletely described * (AR Didrachm from Tralles, Naumann 52.1330, 19mm, 6.7g). The CNG coin is not the only other known instance of this issue (Golberg specimen, second photo below), but the coins display three different control-letters above :Greek_Tau::Greek_Rho::Greek_Alpha::Greek_Lambda:, namely :Greek_Alpha:, :Greek_Stigma:, and :Greek_Eta:.

* LYDIA. Tralles. Didrachm (Circa 166-67 BC). Ptol-, magistrate. Obv: Lion skin draped over club; all within wreath. Rev: ΠΤΟΛ / ΤΡΑΛ. Grape bunch; to right, Dionysos standing facing, holding thyrsos and mask of Silenos. SNG von Aulock -; SNG Copenhagen -; BMC -; CNG E-364, lot 293.

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 10:29:51 am »
One last Plankenhorn (Faustina II / Demeter, from Maeonia, Naumann 52.1076, 22mm, 6.42g), RPC 4.1304 (http://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/4/1304/) with a difference -- note the magistrate's variant name-spelling KYINTOY.

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 03:47:21 pm »
The KYINTOY coin is Leypold I 1069

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 04:04:39 pm »
Thank you; good to know! (Is that KYINTOY :Greek_Beta: altered to :Greek_Gamma:, I wonder?).

Offline esnible

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • gorgon coins
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2020, 09:22:04 pm »
The Plankenhorn Ionian coins sold today.  445 coins.  I acquired at least one of them.

https://www.biddr.com/auctions/numismatiknaumann/browse?a=1157&c=24488

Has anyone made a list of the Plankenhorn sales?

Offline Charles M

• Consul
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2020, 09:06:28 am »
I managed to acquire several of the Elagabalus coins from the Ionia collection sold yesterday.  I thought the prices realized were quite reasonable.  Reading these prior posts made me realize that was an impressive collection.  It seems a shame that the collection was not catalogued in a single volume or at least on-line somewhere.

Charles M.

Offline esnible

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • gorgon coins
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2020, 09:28:33 pm »
As far as I know only the Lydian and Ionian coins have sold.

Direct links to auction site:

- Lydia (473 coins) https://www.biddr.com/auctions/numismatiknaumann/browse?a=111&c=2043
- Ionia (445 coins) https://www.biddr.com/auctions/numismatiknaumann/browse?a=1157&c=24488
  - PDF catalog (entire auction) at https://media.biddr.com/media/pdf/auction_catalogues/1157.pdf

I used to download PDF catalogs but no longer have the time.  Hopefully a few people are downloading and saving important digital catalogs.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity