Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Leo -lion ?  (Read 1505 times)

Offline carpatic

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
Leo -lion ?
« on: November 21, 2015, 07:52:23 am »
I acquired a lot of Leo and Marcian, and this one gives me trouble.
1.02g, 9 mm
I would presume it is Leo with the lion, but I cannot figure out the shape of the lion, or even the correct way to position it.
Could you help me ?

Offline Poemenius

• Consul
Re: Leo -lion ?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 09:05:44 am »
the obverse reminds me some imitative coin of Honorius or even of the Constantine family
I'm almost sure it is not Leo I
you must try a new picture with better details

Offline carpatic

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 02:48:41 am »
Thanks Poemenius.
Also the legend seems too long for Leo, so it is probably an earlier emperor. Considering the size, and also the context of its acquisition ( a lot of Leo's and Marcian's clearly identifiable - lion, aelia verina, monograms... ), I would still put it in the 5th cent, so from Honorius or later.
But I can't manage to identify what is on the reverse, not even remotely. Indeed, not a lion. May be a Victory reverse of Valentinian III ? Maybe imitative ?

Offline Poemenius

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 09:41:59 am »
sure not Vale III, I'm very sure of that.
anyway the coin was reduced in size and weight surely in order to ve used again in V and VI century as a nummus.... whatever coin was in origin....Honorius or imitative coin

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 03:39:38 pm »
Many AE4s of this era were actually cast.  This could be a cast example with the reverse coming out very poorly.  Possibly a SALVS REIPVBLICE type?

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Poemenius

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 03:22:12 am »
I was thinking more or less to a fallen horseman....very poorly made :)

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 10:46:23 am »
That looks plausible too.  FTR FHs imitations are known even smaller than 9mm.  Still too much dirt to tell (at least via photo) if it is struck or cast.

Neat little coin though.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline carpatic

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 03:22:46 am »
An imitation after FTR seems plausible.
I attach new pictures, maybe this will help.
Is the style of the eye ( bulging, punctiform ) an indication of this being an imitation ?

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 05:42:23 am »
It may be just the picture but the reverse looks scratched and tooled. Still it looks like a small imitation of a fallen horseman, and the portrait isn't that of a 5th Century emperor either.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline carpatic

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 01:45:36 am »
I would not say it is tooled, but it is scratched, someone tried to remove the deposits on the lower, flat surfaces.
For now, the closest we could get is a possible imitation of a FTR FH

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 10:01:34 am »
Thanks for the better images. 

Definitely an FTR FH imitation.

The new image shows that it was struck and not cast.  Someone put scratches in the dirt (but it looks like they missed harming the black patina luckily) with a pin.  In the smaller images that gave it a wavy surface that I thought might be the result of a cast coin.  But with the better images it is now clear that it is struck.

Imitations like this are now known to be roughly contemporary with the original type.  This small size means it was fairly late into the FTR era and into the next few years.  The imitations stopped when high volume coin supplies returned - generally with the Valentinianic types that began in late 364.  So you are looking at 356 - 364 as rough dating.

The quality is quite good.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity