Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Barbaric Imitation of Horseman Type????, Second Opinion PLEASE  (Read 473 times)

Offline Castvlo

• Caesar
Barbaric Imitation of Horseman Type????, Second Opinion PLEASE
« on: November 12, 2015, 10:26:11 am »
Hi!

I got this years ago in a lot of uncleaned from "Egypt and the Holy Lands"

I have no idea, except that it may be some sort of barbaric copy of a Late Byzantine issue?  Again, no clue.

AE 18.84, 2.3.  Looks like a very crude radiate bust right with crude medieval style legend around / Sheild? R below? No freaking idea? LOL?

Thanks

Offline ionutbd

• Consul
Re: Interesting Type that I have never seen, HELP PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 04:43:41 am »
Hello!
The reverse looks like FTR  coins of Constantine era - fallen horseman.
And the obverse looks like oversized letters rather than a radiate crown.
Best regards!

Offline Castvlo

• Caesar
Re: Barbaric Imitation of Horseman Type????, Second Opinion PLEASE
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 09:26:18 am »
Thank you! Wow that is a really crude legend then. Wow! I think I agree however, I think I can see a square sheild with a dot on it in about the right place next to the outline of the soldier spearing.  I don't know this coin is really weird.  Thanks!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity