Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: TR P XVI sestertius Antoninus Pius variations  (Read 808 times)

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
TR P XVI sestertius Antoninus Pius variations
« on: November 10, 2015, 09:49:02 am »
I bought the attached coin as a cleaning project as not too much had been damaged by the crude way of cleaning.
Cataloguing the coin, I found out that there are variants in the way the information of the reverse is presented.
BMC 1925 gives: SA-LVS - AVG COS IIII, S - C
RIC 906 is not clear as they give: SALVS AVG.COS.IIII S.C.
Strack gives two variants one like BMC and the other with COS IIII in the exergue (1084-1085).
My specimen has SC in the exergue and I was thrilled that it would be a very special coin, when I found out that in AcSearch a similar coin is depicted sold here from Forum. I have however not been able to find more examples, so I think the variant with SC in ex is rather scarce.
In a few weeks' or months' time I shall present the cleaned coin.

Frans

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: TR P XVI sestertius Antoninus Pius variations
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 11:01:52 am »
Well. I cleaned it. What a job!
I could have been more thorough, but decided not to, as I didn't want to ruin the coin. I think it is acceptable as it is.
The issue of the place of the SC kept be busy, but I have not been able to find a good example with ASC in the exergue. What I did find, was a die match to the obverse! TR P XV
Though there is place on my coin to add a 'I' , Think it is XV after all.
Hope you appreciate my work.

Frans

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 01:08:06 pm »
Frans, very impressive result! congrats!  +++... if it is not a secret, did you clean manually, or with ultra sound?

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 02:31:52 pm »
Timka,
Thanks for the compliment.
Just with a small surgical knife and 20 times magnification. There's a whole grubby world to be seen with rocks and pebbles and sometimes you wonder what you are doing, but with the magnification you can work really precise, but slow.

F

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 02:49:04 pm »
Frans, thank you for letting know..one day I will give a try to this method too:)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity