Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ERIC by Rasiel Suarez  (Read 2533 times)

Offline Daniel D

• Legionary
ERIC by Rasiel Suarez
« on: November 10, 2015, 08:13:41 am »
As a complete, stumbling around novice, I just wanted to recommend ERIC, which is available online here. I have spent the last few weeks buying coins that I like without really knowing much about the subjects, value, etc. I have bought some books, and am reading a history of ancient Rome, but I'm still very much in the dark. ERIC, quite honestly, is just my speed. Its concise historic passages, followed by coin descriptions and photos with relative values and approximate availability, has taught me more than I've learned from any other source. I hunted around for a good, concise, beginner book, and I really think you can't beat ERIC.

Online Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
Re: ERIC by Rasiel Suarez
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 12:01:13 pm »
There is many good books, ERIC is one of them.

ERIC 3 is being written now, but will be a few years before its complete.
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline Tacitus

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 06:39:56 pm »
A completely free resource available to everyone here is Helvetica's Excel spreadsheets.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/dane/

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 05:36:56 am »
ERIC has it's place. I helped with creating some of the sections for it and some of my coins are in the photos. My issue with it is that it doesn't help understand the relative chronology of the coins in question. If all you want is to identify an emperor and track down a reference for it that's fine. If you want to find out where a coin fits in the order they were made at a particular mint for a particular emperor then it is less helpful.
Martin

Offline suarez

• Procurator Monetae
  • Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 09:03:03 am »
Hey guys, thanks for the kind words! Yes, that third edition is most definitely years away. Three full years after starting and I'm only 15% done. When I think about its progress too much it does get a bit discouraging :-)

As for Martin's view, I give it a respectful nod and can only say in my defense that I feel this is more of a philosophical difference. I've laid out my case before the gist of which is that when one sets out to write a reference book on any subject - a book as in old school printed paper - you are married to a format and the best you can hope for is that you optimize its usefulness for the approach you set out. My opinion is that a reference is simply a tool. And what you feel the best numismatic tool can be, again within the confines of a book, is debatable. For Martin and many others the gold standard for Roman coins is all about showing the chronological progression of the issues and sorting out what was made where and at what point. It also happens to be pretty much the only format that would be followed with modern coins thanks to the built-in dating and unambiguous mint marks that make any other arrangement seem pointless. But ancient coins are fundamentally different. Without reliable dating and in many cases known mints we're left with puzzle pieces we can endlessly rearrange into plausible timelines but which will rarely achieve universal consensus. In a more practical sense, however informative a grand tour may be otherwise, if I'm trying to find out how rare a coin of Licinius is I shouldn't have to wade through dozens of pages interpolated with the coins of his contemporaries because that turns the task into a frustrating chore.

For me the perfect reference book is the one that gives me the most amount of information in the easiest possible manner (and presented the most attractively). So the way I see it we have a fork in the road; dictionary or atlas? I've made a career bet on turning ERIC into the best possible 'dictionary' and hope it's judged as such by those who use it. For as good as the RIC vision was in following the timeline path - the atlas paradigm as I consider it - it did so at the direct expense of everyday usability and ease of use. Even the most ardent diehard fan of this series I think has to admit that the model fails the average collector in many respects. Likewise, ERIC falls short when it comes to tying together a storyline and fleshing out many of the questions whose answers take you from the level of an enthusiast to that of a scholar. But this is by design. Just as you want of a dictionary that it give you lookups with a minimum of hassle overloading it with detours, however interesting they may be, decreases the value of its primary function.

When the third edition is ready, if I can finish the course, I hope it will be like a good "coin dictionary": it will quickly give you key information such as a mint date, market rarity, value and other relevant stats. Each section, as before, will come with a modest bio and coinage information relevant to that reign. And above all else I'm obsessive in making it as comprehensive as possible because the one thing we can't forgive of a dictionary or phone book is not finding what we're looking for.

You're welcome to follow progress on this project at http://dirtyoldbooks.com/eric3/

Thanks again,

Ras

Offline Tacitus

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 09:55:31 pm »
Hey Ras - I was a minor help in  ERIC 2... If I can help in Eric 3 on Tacitus or Floranus, let me know

Offline suarez

• Procurator Monetae
  • Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 04:27:34 pm »
Please do, much appreciated. You or anyone else reading this: any coin you'd like me to include just post it to coinvac.com using the add coin tool on login. Don't forget to add your name so I can properly credit and, if possible, anything else that may help me add detail.

Thanks again!

Ras

Offline Dusty A

• Auxiliary
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 01:39:32 pm »
I like both Sears and Eric although I use them for different purposes.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 09:02:46 pm »
First posting - welcome Dusty! 

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity