Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Cowrie Shell from China: how to recognize real and ancient imitation?  (Read 4853 times)

Offline Matteo

• Praetorian
Hi :)

I have a question about the imitation of Cowrie shell from China. There are imitations of Cowrie in several materials: bronze and bone, for examples. For the bronze imitation we can observe their style to try to understand if the coin is really ancient: I don't think it is easy, but it is a start.
My question is: does a way exist to understand if a bone imitation is really ancient? Do you obserse the style? There are only a few incisions...

Do you have any advices?

Thanks,
Matteo :)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Cowrie Shell from China: how to recognize real and ancient imitation?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 05:02:55 pm »
I would just buy from a reputable seller.  These are available from time to time, along with many other early Chinese mediums of exchange.  Get some good reference books too. It is just like ancient coins of Western Civilization- if you don't know the coins then buy from a reputable source until you do.

Offline Matteo

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 06:31:41 pm »
I would just buy from a reputable seller.  These are available from time to time, along with many other early Chinese mediums of exchange.  Get some good reference books too. It is just like ancient coins of Western Civilization- if you don't know the coins then buy from a reputable source until you do.

Thanks for the answer :) I have bought books and I have met some good seller. I am agree with you that it is important to buy from a reputable seller. But the question could be the same: how can the sellers know the bone imitation were used as money? Sellers can declared a bone imitation authentic only if they know the provenience? Or they can use also other ways?

Sorry for my english, i hope you are able to understand me :)

Offline Ken Dorney

• Praetorian
    • Ancient Coins & Antiquities
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 03:06:41 pm »
Matteo,

Cowries are not unlike other ancient items.  Patina, age, encrustations, all lend to the authenticity of the item.  This may take some time for beginners to see at the beginning.  Experience is your best bet against fakes.  As for whether they are money, yes.  Cowries were exchanged as currency by many different cultures from China to Africa.  At some point in history they were imitated in bone, clay and later bronze.
Ken
"Man has not evolved an inch from the slime that spawned him".  Dr. Jeckyll
http://www.coolcoins.com

Offline Matteo

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 02:52:33 pm »
Thanks for the answer, Ken :)

I've received a mail from a chineese seller in which he says: "For cowrie imitation,say bone or stone,to tell the authentic and the fakes ,the key is to see if they are hand-made or machine made,especially the hole and scripts.For authentic ones,each one is different from another one,we can't find two imitation cowrie are the same.Also,for bone cowrie,as they are often buried with bronze craft,many has green color,but bear in mind,some with unnatural green color are also fakes.For stone cowrie,it is often use special stones,the key is to recognize which ones had ever been used .
These are just some tips,hope it helps a bit".

Also thanks to your answers, I've collected some good advices. I'm agree with you that it will be important to see as much cowrie shells as possible to learn more...

All coins are guaranteed for eternity