Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Clipped Ae Latin trachy? 17.95mm x 16.63mm 1.5g  (Read 633 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Clipped Ae Latin trachy? 17.95mm x 16.63mm 1.5g
« on: October 31, 2015, 07:16:32 am »
I am identifying and cleaning an interesting clipped Ae trachy which I obtained in an uncleaned lot.  I believed it is a clipped Latin Rulers of Constantinople issue.  It depicts a nimbate figure on the obverse and a standing emperor on the reverse.  It measures 17.95mm x 16.63mm and weighs 1.5g. 

I have difficulty with clipped trachys.  Any ideas include CLBC reference would be helpful.  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

éRIC_FR

Re: Clipped Ae Latin trachy? 17.95mm x 16.63mm 1.5g
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 05:05:24 pm »
Hello,

Christ on the observe and archangel Michael on the reverse
somes refs Sear 2036, Sommer 68.15, CLBC 11.15.1, Hendy type P

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Clipped Ae Latin trachy? 17.95mm x 16.63mm 1.5g
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 11:21:48 am »
That is it!  I have trouble at times identifying clipped trachys.  I especially like the brown patina of this coin!  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity