Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ant Nose or Ghost Face Money authentication help  (Read 3142 times)

Offline Matteo

• Praetorian
Ant Nose or Ghost Face Money authentication help
« on: October 27, 2015, 02:43:12 pm »
Hi :)

Waht do you think about this "ant nose money"? Do you think it is authentic?

Thanks,
Matteo.

At this link there is an original coin: http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/collection_online/collection_object_details/collection_image_gallery.aspx?assetId=209436001&objectId=1468336&partId=1

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Matteo

• Praetorian
Re: Ant Nose or Ghost Face Money authentication help
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 07:43:59 pm »
Hi quadrans, thanks for the answer. According to david Hartill, ant nose  from Chu State were money. Probably they are an imitation Of cowrie shells used in ancient China.
I'm not able to understand if the first coin is authentic: ant nose money were cast and not struck...
Your pieces are amazing, but I've never seen them before...I don't think they are from China: do you have other informations?

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 10:35:12 pm »
Hi quadrans,

I have to agree with Matteo.  I have never seen Ant Nose money or any primitive currency like this from China.  I have been collecting odd and unusual money for about 25 years and never seen anything like this.

Howard

Offline Matteo

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 12:11:23 pm »
I have been collecting odd and unusual money for about 25 years and never seen anything like this.

I imagine it is a very interesting collection! ;D Don't you have any images?

-----------------------

Does anyone else have an idea about the authenticity of the first coin?

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 12:25:15 am »
One of these days I have to take photos of everything,  It would take months if not years to document the whole collection.  On average, I buy one or two coins or objects per month (if not more, but don't tell my wife.)

As for your Ant Nose Money, Matteo, it is of the correct style.  Since these are fairly common, I would assume it is genuine, but with all the fakes coming out of China, who knows.  I would go with it be authentic.

Offline Matteo

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 12:31:42 pm »
One of these days I have to take photos of everything,  It would take months if not years to document the whole collection.  On average, I buy one or two coins or objects per month (if not more, but don't tell my wife.)

As for your Ant Nose Money, Matteo, it is of the correct style.  Since these are fairly common, I would assume it is genuine, but with all the fakes coming out of China, who knows.  I would go with it be authentic.

Thanks for the answer Howard :) I've received the same opinion by a Chineese friend :)

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 05:02:50 pm »
Hi quadrans, thanks for the answer. According to david Hartill, ant nose  from Chu State were money. Probably they are an imitation Of cowrie shells used in ancient China.
I'm not able to understand if the first coin is authentic: ant nose money were cast and not struck...
Your pieces are amazing, but I've never seen them before...I don't think they are from China: do you have other informations?

"Hi quadrans,

I have to agree with Matteo.  I have never seen Ant Nose money or any primitive currency like this from China.  I have been collecting odd and unusual money for about 25 years and never seen anything like this.

Howard"

Hi Matteo and Howard,

Sorry I missed your post ..

My examples coming from the north of Balkan ... not from China, may be the bronze age time ....

Regards
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Ken Dorney

• Praetorian
    • Ancient Coins & Antiquities
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 06:21:15 pm »
Matteo,

This thread got a bit off topic, but yes, yours is a genuine example.  I've handled many hundreds of these and this one is just fine.  Really crummy ones can be obtained for maybe $10, really nice ones a be over $100.
Ken
"Man has not evolved an inch from the slime that spawned him".  Dr. Jeckyll
http://www.coolcoins.com

Offline Matteo

• Praetorian
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 05:50:54 am »
Matteo,

This thread got a bit off topic, but yes, yours is a genuine example.  I've handled many hundreds of these and this one is just fine.  Really crummy ones can be obtained for maybe $10, really nice ones a be over $100.

Thanks for the answer Ken :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity