Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Celtic (?) coin  (Read 2607 times)

Offline aemilianus253

• Consul
Celtic (?) coin
« on: October 26, 2015, 04:29:45 am »
Hallo,
I'm looking for help on identifying a silver coin shown me by a friend . I had promised to help in the identification of this , a lot purchased in multiple at auction , I think German, but I was forgotten it... I can say that the diameter is similar to that of a quinary of Roman Republican and that the weight is 1.97. On obverse there is a female head of Celtic style ( ? ) and an owl (?) on the reverse side with a small crown or so... More I can not say . Thank you in advance. I apologize for the quality of the images, taken quickly with a mobile phone! Thank you in advance!

Offline Martin B4

• Consul
Re: Celtic (?) coin
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 03:13:58 am »
Hi aemilianus,

this coin is a quinarius 'Nauheim' type of the Hesse and Rhinelandregion in Germany.
The obverse shows a male curly head wearing two torques, the reverse a winged man called 'Vogelmännchen' - 'birdman' with a torque in his hand
http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?term=nauheim&category=1-2&en=1&de=1&fr=1&it=1&es=1&ot=1&images=1&currency=eur&thesaurus=1&order=0&company=

Kind regards

All coins are guaranteed for eternity