Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Question regarding bronze coin surface adhesions  (Read 2398 times)

Offline swampaggie

• Praetorian
Question regarding bronze coin surface adhesions
« on: October 09, 2015, 07:38:16 pm »
A few months back I viewed a Claudius sestertius with odd surfaces that I haven’t seen before on an ancient Roman bronze coin (sorry, no photo).  There were several raised spots of metal on both the obverse and reverse.  The metal bumps had fresh shine and did not share the patina that was on the rest of the coin’s surface.  Today while looking at acsearch I came across this Antonia dupondius that has similar surfaces (interestingly both coins have NCAPR countermarks).  Are these raised metal bumps natural surface adhesions?  Do coins with these surfaces typically turn up in a particular region or soil type?  Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.
Jeremy

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Question regarding bronze coin surface adhesions
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 01:00:43 pm »
These "pimples" are a kind of corrosion.  They are not an adhesion in that it is not an outside material that is sticking to the coin, instead the actual metal of the coin is corroding and expanding.  You can see that there were several larger "blisters" on the same coin that either burst naturally or were chopped away in cleaning. 

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline swampaggie

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 06:30:51 pm »
Thank you for your reply, Shawn.  Is this form and extent of surface corrosion common on such bronze coins?  Admittedly I have never worked with uncleaned coins but this is the first time I've seen a coin exhibiting such surfaces.
Jeremy

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 07:55:34 pm »
It is unusual.  I have never had a coin that looked quite like that.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 11:09:00 am »
Not usual but I have a few.  Mine all seem to be first century and mostly copper - not bronze or orichalcum/brass.  Might be something in the copper of that period that made such reactions occur from time to time.  I don't recall right off what Claudian sestertii are made of.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline swampaggie

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 10:22:03 am »
It is unusual.  I have never had a coin that looked quite like that.

Thank you for sharing, Joe.  That helps put the frequency of such surfaces in perspective given the large number of coins you've handled.

Not usual but I have a few.  Mine all seem to be first century and mostly copper - not bronze or orichalcum/brass.  Might be something in the copper of that period that made such reactions occur from time to time.  I don't recall right off what Claudian sestertii are made of.

Shawn

Shawn, your last comment prompted me to pull out my copy of Sear.  Both coins in question are brass (not bronze as I inaccurately stated at the beginning of this thread - sorry).  Sestertii and dupondii issued under Claudius are brass, while as and quadrans are copper.  The Antonia dupondius is brass. 
Jeremy

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 08:37:41 pm »
It would seem that the next step in this question would be to scrape off some of the bubbles and have them analyzed for content.  Perhaps they are surplus zinc not alloyed properly or brought up by fire???   The problem with such an investigation is that it would be easy to spend several times the value of the coin and gain no knowledge that would improve it. 

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 04:19:49 pm »
I also suspect fire may have had a role.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline lordmarcovan

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 01:56:10 am »
Fire was certainly the first thing that crossed my mind.

Offline Romanorum

• Conservator
  • Consul
    • Romanorum Ancient Coins
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 12:22:07 pm »
These "pimples" are a kind of corrosion.  They are not an adhesion in that it is not an outside material that is sticking to the coin, instead the actual metal of the coin is corroding and expanding.  You can see that there were several larger "blisters" on the same coin that either burst naturally or were chopped away in cleaning. 

I agree, although I posit that the "blister" might be a reaction between some impurities in the metal itself which slowly erupt and then integrate with whatever minerals on the soil. Hence the "mineral" appearance of the blisters on the Antonia coin. The example below, Philip II, is not quite the same type or blisters, but you can see a few different variants of blisters that might have followed a similar process.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity