Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Norman Sicily follaro or crusader ???  (Read 1596 times)

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
Norman Sicily follaro or crusader ???
« on: October 20, 2015, 11:00:20 pm »
 No luck on Identification Help board https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=103771.msg638001#msg638001 . Posted on lamoneta , was suggested that this is crusader . But I still belive that this is the Norman  Sicily follaro . But, unfortunately, I do not have any book about it .
The king  seated on throne
Latin cross ,  floral ornaments at lower left and right .   :Greek_Alpha:  or   :Greek_Lambda:   in upper left quarter .
20-21 mm
2.4 g
Regards ,
Vlad .

sviridov

Re: Norman Sicily follaro or crusader ???
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 12:49:14 pm »
Hi Vlad,

Strange coin. look a bit like a hybrid of S1855 and s1880 (annonymous byzantine follis), to me ???

Yours Svir

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 07:11:36 am »
Hi Vlad,

I received your PM.

First, your reverse photo is upside-down. it needs to be rotated 180 degrees.

I have Varesi's Sicily volume. I looked at every coin in it. I found only one coin that even remotely resembles your coin. It is not an exact match, but it somewhat resembles your coin.

Here is the information in Varesi:

Ruggero II (Duca normanno; 1105-1154)
emissioni del 1141-1154
Messina mint
Follaro - Cu
Obverse: POGEPIA NAS (Rogerius Rex), Il Re seduto in trono
Reverse: Croce patente; nei quarti IC XC NI KA
weight range: 1.35 - 1.62g
references: Varesi (MIR) 27, Sp. 77 (1/2 Follaro)

According to Varesi, it is a common coin.

Meepzorp

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 10:51:07 pm »
Hi Meepzorp ,
Thank very much for your time and help .
As you suggest , I flip the reverse photo and I think that the original picture was correct . I still see the cross with floral ornaments in lower fields .

Quote from: Meepzorp on December 25, 2015, 07:11:36 am
I have Varesi's Sicily volume. I looked at every coin in it. I found only one coin that even remotely resembles your coin. It is not an exact match, but it somewhat resembles your coin.
My post on Italian forum Lamoneta also don't give any results and I began to think that it may be "unpublished crusader or byzantine" . Though, the seller very often have  a medieval coins from Italy  for sale .
Best Regards ,
Vlad .

Offline Vasiliy O

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 02:59:27 pm »
Hi Vlad,

Chances are, you're right.
I have a catalog of the coins of Norman Sicily.
G. BERTELLI NEZI Tarì Follari ed altre monete dei Normanni in Sicilia 1072 -1194
Such a coins as you have, there is not present. But there are some similar types follaro. With a picture of the seated figure of Jesus, as well as Roger. #20-21
This may be one of the types follaro. Undescribed.

Regards , Vasiliy

All coins are guaranteed for eternity