Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Meepzorp's coin website  (Read 266481 times)

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
Re: Meepzorp's coin website
« Reply #1000 on: October 16, 2018, 06:54:05 am »
When used in the same manner as external rotating drives (hard drives, optical drives, or floppy drives), i.e. in ignorance of their technology, USB drives' failure is more likely to be sudden: while rotating drives can fail instantaneously, they more frequently give some indication (noises, slowness) that they are about to fail, often with enough advance warning that data can be removed before total failure. USB drives give little or no advance warning of failure. Furthermore, when internal wear-leveling is applied to prolong life of the flash drive, once failure of even part of the memory occurs it can be difficult or impossible to use the remainder of the drive, which differs from magnetic media, where bad sectors can be marked permanently not to be used.
DT

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #1002 on: October 16, 2018, 03:48:57 pm »
Hi RB, DT, and cmc,

Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate it. This mini discussion has enlightened me.

After reading RB's post yesterday, I decided to look into USB flash drives more deeply. It was the first time I had done this.

It turns out that there are 3 different types of USB flash drives: TLC, MLC, and SLC. The sub-type refers to the density of the stored data. SLC is single density. MLC is double density. And TLC is triple density.

Most USB flash drives sold today are the TLC type, because they are economical.

According to the websites I visited, the data stored in a TLC USB flash drive is expected to last for 1-3 years. After that, the data can become unstable, and you may lose it.

The data stored in a SLC USB flash drive is expected to last for 10 years before it becomes unstable.

The data stored in a MLC USB flash drive has a lifespan in between those 2.

I have a Sandisk 32GB TLC USB flash drive. They cost about $13. I've been using it almost every day for 3 years now. Maybe it is reaching the end of its lifespan?

According to these websites, there are 2 other issues to consider when using a USB flash drive. First, every time you use it, energy flows from the laptop to the flash drive. This slowly kills it. It is basically a long, slow death. Second, the number of plug/un-plug cycles becomes a factor over time. I suspected this all along. These websites only confirmed my suspicions. According to these websites, most USB flash drives are designed to survive only about 1,500 plug/un-plug cycles before the connector breaks. According to my calculations, I've already gone through about 1,000 plug/un-plug cycles with my flash drive (3 years, almost every day). This means that the connector on my flash drive is expected to last only another 500 plug/un-plug cycles, which is a little over a year for me.

According to these websites, most external hard drives are expected to last for 3-5 years before something mechanical breaks. As I mentioned in my previous posts in this thread, the problem with external hard drives is that they have moving parts. Apparently, the data stored in them can last for decades (maybe 50 years or more), but the moving parts tend to break. The data is still there, but the drive is mechanically broken. And once the drive is 3-5 years old, it isn't worth it to fix it. It will cost you more money to fix it (or even attempt to retrieve the data) than a 3-5 year old hard drive is worth. What good is having the data there still intact for decades if you can't access it because the drive is mechanically broken? This is the paradox.

After visiting these websites, I am now seriously considering buying a SLC USB flash drive at some point in the near future. Since the data is expected to last for 10 years, it is an option worth looking into. The problem with SLC USB flash drives is the cost. A 32GB SLC USB flash drive costs about $53 or more. That is 4 times the cost of a 32GB TLC USB flash drive ($13). But, if the data will last for 10 years before becoming unstable, it may be worth it.

My website should be completed in about 1-2 years (I hope). Once my website is completed, my flash drive should experience a significant reduction in the number of plug/un-plug cycles. Maybe a SLC USB flash drive will be a good option at that point. It can also serve as a back-up to my TLC USB flash drive, which will be 5 years old at that time.

What do other Forum members think? Should I buy a 32GB SLC USB flash drive in the near future?

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1003 on: October 16, 2018, 03:57:03 pm »
When used in the same manner as external rotating drives (hard drives, optical drives, or floppy drives), i.e. in ignorance of their technology, USB drives' failure is more likely to be sudden.

Hi DT,

Thank you for the information.

You used the phrase "in ignorance of their technology". By this, I assume that you are referring to the fact that some people who use USB flash drives very frequently erase and re-write.

When I visited those websites yesterday, I learned that doing this will significantly and substantially reduce the lifespan of a USB flash drive.

I very rarely do that. More than 90-95% of the time, my USB flash drive is used for "write only".

Less than 5-10% of the time, I erase and re-write.

So, that shouldn't be an issue for me.

Meepzorp

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #1004 on: October 16, 2018, 05:31:10 pm »
It’s clear that all stockage devices have their own durability limits in time. So the big question remains :Is the Cloud safe enough to really be trusted ??
DT

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #1005 on: October 16, 2018, 05:37:12 pm »
That's what I thought till one died on me. Fortunately there was nothing important on it. It wa one I regularly used to transfer files.

https://www.cnet.com/news/reliability-of-usb-flash-drives-questioned/
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #1006 on: October 16, 2018, 09:53:38 pm »
In addition to newer ones, I have flash drives that are over 10 years old that I still use from time to time.  The first one I ever bought was LEXAR JumpDrive with 128 megabytes, which I though was amazing.  My newest ones are 256 gigabytes.....2000 times the capacity of my first one.  When the 512 gigabyte units come down in price a bit more, I'll probably spring for one.

I also have at least three of them that over the years have gone through a washing cycle when I forgot to empty my pockets before throwing my pants in the wash.  After a few days sitting in a warm sunny spot, they worked just fine again.  So if you stick with better name brands, they seem pretty hardy.

Any real data protection program probably consists of at least two and ideally three components:

1.  short term data backups
2.  long term (i.e., archival) storage
3.  remote data storage/cloud

No matter what you use for the first two aspects, flash or disk based storage, many people fail to have a plan also encompassing #3.  If you have everything backed up on a flash drive or hard drive sitting right next to your computer and your house catches fire or suffers some other catastrophic event, you run a risk of still losing everything if the external storage is also destroyed.  This is one reason why cloud based storage services are becoming so popular....not to mention that you can access your files from any computer, anywhere.  

Personally, at the beginning of every month, I make one disk based backup of all my files as well as two flash drive copies.  One flash drive I carry with me, and the other goes into my safe deposit box.  I am still not at a point where I want to entrust my data to the cloud....especially confidential/personal/financial data.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1007 on: November 04, 2018, 07:58:20 pm »
Hi folks,

Here is another progress report:

I finally finished processing and transferring (to my flash drive) all of the files I had on my computer's hard drive. My hard drive is nice and empty now. It has been over a year since it was this empty.

Now, I have some "loose ends" I need to tie up. Some things around the house need to be taken care of, etc. This should take me a few days to a week. So, unless something goes catastrophically wrong in the next few days, I should be able to resume working on my website within the next week.

I haven't been able to work on my website since October of last year. That was 13 months ago. This past year (October 2017 - October 2018) has been very harrowing for me. It may have been the worst one year period of my life. It appears that this "storm" in my life has finally passed (I hope).

Of course, as I mentioned in my previous posts above, my laptop computer is broken. The mouse pad area of my keyboard is basically dead. It is unusable. When I finally get around to working on my website again (hopefully, within the next week), I must crop and process all of my coin photos using my wireless external mouse. It will probably take some getting used to.

I probably won't be able to buy a new computer until next Spring, possibly later.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1008 on: November 08, 2018, 12:50:51 am »
Hi folks,

I finally started working on my website again.

I have several coins where there are errors in my tags. I figured that I'd start with those.

Today, I corrected a Roman Provincial, Mesopotamia, Rhesaena coin (second coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/rp_mesopot_pt02.htm

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1011 on: November 10, 2018, 01:27:26 pm »
Hi folks,

This is just a friendly reminder to those of you who are using Google Chrome. For some reason, Google Chrome has their browser set up so that you can't see my new photos unless you clear the cache. I assume they do this for speed purposes. Even if you reload the page, you still won't see my new photos. The only way to see my new photos is to clear the cache.

If you are using Mozilla Firefox, you will be able to see my new photos if you reload the page. But you usually must reload the page in order to see them.

Please keep this in mind going forward because I will be adding many new photos in the coming weeks.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1012 on: November 10, 2018, 09:03:03 pm »
Hi folks,

Today, I split 3 of my website pages. It took me 3 hours. It is a very complicated, technical, and tedious process.

I did this in anticipation of posting photos of new arrivals. Of course, in this case, a "new arrival" is any coin I received in the past 6-12 months.

I split my Greek Italy, Campania, Suessa Aurunca page into 2 pages. In the past 6-12 months, I have received several coins from this city. I had to split this page into 2 pages to accommodate the coming growth. I also did this to put Suessa Aurunca on par with some of my other Campania cities (Cales, Capua, etc.), which currently have 2 pages each.

I split one of my Roman Provincial, Phrygia pages into 2 pages. The city of Eumeneia now has its own page.

I also split my Medieval Italy, Colonial Genoese, Caffa page into 2 pages. My second page is currently empty. There is nothing posted in it yet. My second page will contain countermarked issues of Caffa.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1013 on: November 13, 2018, 08:35:32 am »
Hi folks,

Today, I added one coin to each of my following website pages:

Greek Italy, Calabria, Taras (second coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/gi_calb_taras_pt01.htm

Roman Provincial, Phrygia, Eumeneia (last coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/rp_phrygia_eumeneia.htm

Roman Provincial, Spain, Caesaraugusta (fourth coin):

[This page no longer exists.]

Roman Provincial, Thrace, Kings (third coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/rp_thrace_kings.htm

Roman Provincial, Thrace, Bizya (first coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/rp_thrace_bizya_deultum.htm

These are new arrivals. I received them within the past 6-12 months.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1014 on: November 14, 2018, 11:43:26 am »
Hi folks,

Greek Sicily, Panormus, Part 1 (first coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/gs_sicl_pan_pt01.htm

Medieval Italy, Colonial Genoese, Greece (third coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/mi_gencol_pt04.htm

Medieval Italy, Colonial Genoese, Caffa:

Meepzorp

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #1015 on: November 14, 2018, 06:16:14 pm »
You have a very impressive collection my friend ! If my memory is right, you are collecting since 1998, aren’t you ? It’s 20 years already, I hope you made a party to celebrate the event.... 😁
DT

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1016 on: November 15, 2018, 09:32:57 pm »
Hi folks,

Today, I added 2 coins to this website page:

Greek Italy, Campania, Suessa Aurunca, Part 1 (first and last coins):

I also added 1 coin to this website page:

Greek Italy, Lucania, Paestum, Part 1 (fifth coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/gi_luc_paest_pt01.htm

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1017 on: November 15, 2018, 09:36:12 pm »
Hi DT,

Thank you. :)

Yes, your memory is correct. I started collecting ancient coins in 1998. I think it was October/November 1998. So, it is 20 years to the month.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1018 on: November 17, 2018, 07:29:13 am »
Hi folks,

Greek Italy, Campania, Cumae (last coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/gi_camp_cumae.htm

Greek Italy, Campania, Suessa Aurunca, Part 1 (fourth coin):

Greek Italy, Campania, Suessa Aurunca, Part 2 (first coin):

These are new arrivals. I received them with in the past 6-12 months.

Meepzorp

Offline EB

• Consul
    • EB Gallery
« Reply #1019 on: November 18, 2018, 10:12:44 am »
Hi Meepzorp,
That's three great coins, congrats!
-EB

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1020 on: November 18, 2018, 11:13:37 am »
Hi EB,

Thank you for the comment. :)

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1021 on: November 19, 2018, 10:48:28 am »
Hi folks,

Greek Italy, Campania, Neapolis, Silver, Part 1 (first coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/gi_camp_neap_ar01.htm

Greek Italy, Campania, Cales, Part 1 (third coin):

Meepzorp

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
« Reply #1022 on: November 19, 2018, 11:02:45 am »
Impressive Collection
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1023 on: November 19, 2018, 11:22:23 am »
Hi oki,

Thank you for the comment. :)

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1024 on: November 20, 2018, 11:12:18 am »
Hi folks,

Today, I added 2 coins to this website page:

Greek Italy, Campania, Neapolis, Bronze, Part 3 (first and last coins):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/gi_camp_neap_ae03.htm

I also re-cropped 3 photos in my Greek Italy, Campania, Neapolis, Silver, Part 1 page:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/gi_camp_neap_ar01.htm

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity