Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Class B follis ??  (Read 688 times)

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
Class B follis ??
« on: September 28, 2015, 09:43:51 pm »
The flan by the edge is thin and thick in the middle . Looks like a class B follis , but something is odd about this coin . 
5.4 g

Regards ,
Vlad .

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Re: Class B follis ??
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 05:54:47 pm »
I think it started out as one, but it appears that someone may have flattened the fields around the periphery on both sides, destroying much of the design.

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 07:49:46 pm »
It looks like it was latter made into a trachy and then again flattened out.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 03:50:05 pm »
It reminded me of a trachy, interesting though it had no die strike from being struck to give it the cup like shape. I have a Trachy shaped piece that is 32 mm or so and weighs as I recall near 4 g. It however has no hint whatso ever of a die strike. Maybe it was meant to be used for something that needed that shape?

CW

All coins are guaranteed for eternity